who does not speed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
is there anybody out there that can put hand on heart and say i have never broke the speed limit. :oops: and do you go along with the goverment's new proposed increase in penalties for speeders. :rolleyes:
they are if u are doing 45 in a 30 mph. or 57 in a 40 zone or 94 on motorways you will be receive 6 points so a new driver will be banned for first offence, other drivers 2 offence's and u get a bike :confused: will this stop speeding and who will pick up the bill for all the people who lose there jobs, i cant see whats wrong with what we got now :eek: if it ain't broke why try to fix it, why not increse the fine

Sponsored Links
would't worry too much about it.
The risk of getting caught is the same.

I speed, everyone does. 20 years driving and caught twice. What I don't do though is constant high speeds on motorways (anymore- that was nearly a ban :LOL: , ignore static speed cameras or thrash about in town.

Get caught once, sharpen up a bit unitl the points are off.
As for increasing fines, not a lot of point, the rich just pay, the poor pay in installments. If you want to punish drivers, you have to take what's important to them away - their right to drive - even if it's just for a week.

I shall report in on the next vehicle in the stable - sporting a speed limiter - additional to the normal speed limiter... Will I notice extra vigilance on the road??
:D

What drivers really fear is having to re-sit their driving test.

That should be the penalty for 12 points. If they don't pass withing six months - then you get banned until they do.

That affects the rich just as much as the poor and might even improve driving standards.

Sponsored Links
Speed humps work for me - I hate them

In a few years, when the nanny state brings in compulsory GPS tracking, and fits more and more survelance cameras - including SPECs and plate recognition devices - it will be quicker to jump on the back of a passing milk-float.

Most speed limits are an artifical anachronism. A 30 in dense built-up area with little forward or sidewards visibility can be justified - a 20 even. But if visibility is adequate, then there is no reason why speed can not be increased.

The probelm is that there are too many people on the road who don't actually know how to drive, and don't know the risks or when its safe to go a bit faster or not.

I regularly will be overtaken on islands (on either inside or outside), see cars lurch as they go around a bend too fast, and people zoom up to junctions and brake heavily - or just have to overtake for no other reason than to be in front.

It seems few people can aprreciate possible approaching danger or possible hazards, and their only reaction to to slam the brakes on - which is then too late. Some sections of the community are inherently much worse than others too :rolleyes:

i have never had a speeding conviction and have only ever set a speed camera off once, but i was heading towards it.

i do 90% of my driving locally so i'm aware of most of the speed limits around my area, and where the speed trap van is likely to be. mind you, so is my rozzer mate, and he only needs one more conviction and he is out of a job!

i think if you lose concentration or let your mind drift, it is easy to break a 30mph speed limit. 30mph is a very dull speed at which to drive, so your senses do not get particularly aroused. thus allowing your mind to drift.

so, paradoxically driving slowly can be dangerous.

this does not mean that i, in any way, condone speeding.

We wouldn't need to speed if we had sensible speed limits more related to vehicles on the road today rather than a Model T Ford.

And, yes, I DO condone speeding ... I'd have far less grief if everyone drove as fast as me.

MW

i speed most of the time tbh.a lot of the problem with people speeding is they cant think quick enough for the speed they are going.when i,m out on my bike im a hell of a lot more focused than i am when in a car/van.to many distractions and i dont use the roads even remotely the same as i do on the bike.

i do save the really silly stuff for the racetrack :LOL:

We wouldn't need to speed if we had sensible speed limits more related to vehicles on the road today rather than a Model T Ford.

so what your saying is, if the current trend continues insofar as engine power is concerned, the speed limit should continue to be raised in line with that power increase?

cars are becoming more powerful.

the speed at which a person can be killed in a built up area has not changed all that much.

I didn't know there was a limit to the amount of speed you could take :LOL:

I can honestly say I don't speed :D I can also say I don't swear smoke or drink.

Oh bollo**s I do smoke and drink. :D :D

Also got 6 points. :oops:

I got pipped 18 month ago and i saw the guy and his camera i was recorded as driving at 40mph.

trouble was i had entered a 30mph zone without realising it :!:

the zone wasnt marked, it was to do with the spacing of the street lights so i should have known :confused:

they knew, thats why they had set up the trap, it is marked further up the road.

since then ive become paranoid trying not to speed.

the trouble is sometimes i think its safe to put the pedal to the metal.

twice last year i did that and ran into a speed trap :eek:

i then spend weeks worrying about a NIP coming through the door,
tell me Im not paranoid :oops:

Sponsored Links
Back