Why all the fuss about Rishi's wife?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dunno if I've got this right but if she's registered as a non-Dom in the UK but owns businesses registered in other countries and pays tax to the government of those countries on the profit that her company earns in those countries, what's the problem? I mean, if, say, a bloke who lives in France but has a business over here in a company registered over here, he pays tax on that company profits to the UK government, not the French one, right?

So what are Labour on about when they say this: Labour said it was "staggering" Mr Sunak's family "may have been benefitting from tax reduction schemes".

Sponsored Links
As I understand things; she's a citizen of India, India does not allow their citizens to hold dual nationality therefore, she can't be a British person.
She's the daughter of a very rich man and holds shares in his business to the value of approximately £500million. She doesn't pay tax on any monies she earns from outside Britain, she only pays tax on monies earned in Britain.
I think the controversy is over the fact that while it is within British law, is it ethical?
Oh, I forgot to say that she is also the wife of The Chancer of the Exchequer.

Last edited:
As I understand things; she's a citizen of India, India does not allow their citizens to hold dual nationality therefore, she can't be a British person.

There are lots of people living and working in UK who are not UK citizens, some of them own shares and businesses.

They pay UK tax and NI.

The idea that paying tax is "optional" is a privilege reserved for the very rich. The proprietor of the Daily Wail is just one example.

Our government made the laws.

In other news, who's the person who makes and announces UK tax changes, in the Budget?

Sponsored Links
Our government made the laws.
Which government was that and when? In any case, she's abiding by them. "She has always and will continue to pay UK taxes on all her UK income." Rishi declared that in his declaration of interests when he first became a minister. No story, move on.

If I had shares in a UK company and lived abroad, I'd expect to pay tax on those profits or dividends in the UK and not in the country I had moved to. Wouldn't you?

David Cameron, his father, and his wife were tax dodgers.

Who's in charge of running the country?

I think same as the criticism of the other big tech firms that don't pay UK tax because they are operating from HQs overseas.

Infosys has 3 main offices in the UK, and therefore British customers.

We were quick to criticise Google, Yahoo etc for doing this, but suddenly it's OK when it's a Tory's family business.

"Philip Hammond aims to raise £200m a year with measures targeting tech giants who route profits via low-tax countries.
Internet companies that legally avoid taxes by shifting profits overseas face being taxed on royalties on UK sales in a move dubbed the “Google tax”."
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...crack-down-avoidance-internet-firms-uk-amazon
So, it's bad if big tech companies do it, unless it is run by the Chancellor's wife

No story, move on.

The idea that governments have no responsibility for a tax system is ridiculous.

The idea that tax-dodging billionaires is not a story is ridiculous.

No story, move on
Well yes and no.

Wealthy people in politics have an interest in policies that benefit the rich.

that, unfortunately is how our political system works - the Conservatives are in power to ensure wealth stays with the wealthy.

On a wider point, if she complies with the rules, she has done nothing wrong….but she is part of a party that doesn’t want the rules changed.

Would you not like a fairer society where the rich pay a fair amount of tax?

Every pound of tax that a tax-dodging billionaire doesn't pay, is a pound that much poorer people have to pay.

Tax avoidance and tax evasion are two very different things. The former is perfectly legal.

The main reason for all the bashing of rich people who ensure that they are tax efficient is jealousy.

The reality is that all the people that bash the rich people would do also aim to be tax efficient should they become rich. Being tax efficient is part of the reason people become rich.

I accept i have to pay tax, but i'd like to pay as little tax as it's legal to do.

If Lord Rothemere's palatial home catches fire, will he phone the Nice fire brigade to help?

Or will it be the UK taxpayer funded public services that come to the rescue?

If Mrs Sunak is robbed of her jewellery, will she call the Calcutta police?

Public services are paid for by public taxation.

No. She is married to a minister of a party that you assume doesn't want to change rules.

I don’t assume, it’s fact.

It’s a party of the rich, for the rich.

A party that doesn’t want you to notice that, so it gets it’s supporters blaming “benefit scroungers”, foreigners, the EU

Sponsored Links
Back