Why are my Velux loft windows going black?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I recently cleaned the loft windows and noticed quite a lot of black mould around the wooden frame (once the window was opened) is this normal for roof windows? The wood even when cleaned is still black.

Any ideas why this has happened and how to clean the black of please?

:D

Sponsored Links
So was mine, it's mildew caused by condensation from the edge of the glass soaking into the wooden frame.

I sanded the frame down, cleaned it with bleach and then applied several coats of good quality yacht varnish. Then I stopped the condensation by fixing a sheet of perspex over the whole frame, making it triple glazed.

Thanks for the reply,

Most of my black is on the frame not the window and only visable when you open the window, could this still be condensation?

Sponsored Links
Yes ;) I have 6 velux windows and only 2 of them get a slight black mould on the bottom but now I clean it regulary, it's okay now. Already changed 2 of them to upvc velux electric which doesn't get any black moulds

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back