Why do some customers think they know Better ?

:LOL:

They never seem to take it into account that we have to go and pick the paint up either...for free.

Just after the last reccession I priced a job for an odious bloke..I was given an heads about him and the fact he will definatly knock me down..

It was a hard job to price because he had started bits everywhere..5 bedroom house..some ceilings were done..bit of primer here and there, couple of walls..he got so far before he realised that you might not be able to paint..even if you can ****"....

It was coming close to christmas..I didnt want to be without money so I priced it very keenly..at 700 quid I think...quick as a flash he said 'i was thinking of about 500..so ill meet you halfway and call it 600'' (how nice of him..and where did he get hes figure from????)

I reluctantly agreed..before I went he said so we can shake on that then..600 plus materials..

I said yeh fine and instantly cheered up...my original price included materials!!!..which came to 250 quid!

Did I say anything????..did I ****!..

He was quite willing for me to take a drop for nothing..so I was more than happy for him to pay over the top.

People like that make me sick..I wonder if he used to go into Tescos and say....''eighty two pounds fifty.....hmmm...tell you what, I was thinking of about 60 quid..so i'll meet you halfway and we'll call it seventy'

:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
It really doesn't bother me if clients want to supply their own materials, it save me the hassle of going to get them and absolves me from any warranty I have to offer on the materials.

The warrenty often swings it.

How much for downlights?

£xxx

Can I supply my own downlights? I can get them real cheap, pound a pop at crap'r'us. how much are your downlights? why are they so expensive?

mine aren't "cheap" is cos they're decent qual fittings with decent transformers that'll last as I warrenty everything I supply, plus fire hoods etc

So what if mine go wrong, will you still come and fix them?

no, if what you supply fails you pay me to come and fix it

:cry: oh, i just don't know what to do now :cry:

(ie, caught in the panic of wanting to pay less but knowing it's a stupid thing to do)

okay, how many of you have customers that "know a really good place to get stuff from"? (then turn up with crap they paid twice what you get quality kit for?)

yeah, cos I've only been doing this job 15 years, obviously I wouldn't be expected to know more about materials procurement than a suburban housewife who's never been further than her local DIY bandit.

OK then,

local supplier claims he has the best prices in Scotland for a certain light fitting
local supplier claims to have an exclusive deal with manufacturer.

Supplier (usually good, by the way) quotes £26 +VAT for fitting and bulb (GU10 & 11W megaman CFL)

check on the internet, and receive a quote of £12.11 INC Vat & delivery for EXACTLY the same fitting - same boxes the lot. UK based online company

Supplier asked for an opportunity to try and match it, and he came up with £24.

he came to see the fittings i got, and confirmed they were identical - same manufacturer etc.

Sometimes the customer can beat the trade. (this was a supply only issue, so no issues of warranty / time / labour etc)

I would have bought off him at up to, say £14 a fitting, with the local service available, but this was a bit much to stomach.

I think it started a bit of a war with his sources.

Bit easier when you are in heating. All you have to say is: fine with me, just be aware that any warranty issues are between you and the supplier. And if the materials are not complete, the waiting time for me is fully payable.
It usually stops there

Sponsored Links
i had two quotes from plumbers - it was hard to find a CORGI LPG chap.

One of them knew best, disagreed with the professional design engineer that i have worked with for 12 years, and designed a 'better cheaper system' and quoted £11,000 or so. He charged extra for his LPG guy too.

The other was nice as pie, took the design on board, proposed some practical alterations to suit the fabric of the building, and charged £4,500 for the job.

He got the job, got the work done ahead of time, it has worked faultlessly from day one, gas bills are down and the house is warmer.

He has had at least 9 referrals from me, and chap number one, who scarily came by recommendation, has been named and shamed to many.

plumber no. 1 thought he knew more than me, and it didnt work.

it's horses for courses on both sides of the fence.
there are daft customers, and there are tradesmen that take advantage.

here's hoping that both camps are in the minority.

And then you get the customer who, after asking for an estimate for a particular job, after receiving it wants to know the breakdown between labour & materials. I have three stock answers to ths type:-

1. "Why? You asked for an estimate for the whole job which is what you have got."

2. "I would be happy to provide you with a breakdown of labour and materials on receipt of your payment of £100.00 to cover the costs of the work this involves"

3. "No!"

The ort of customers that are happy to pay 60-70 quid for a tin of over priced trendy emulsion..but dont want to pay you 60-70 quid to put it on for them.. :rolleyes:

And then you get the customer who, after asking for an estimate for a particular job, after receiving it wants to know the breakdown between labour & materials. I have three stock answers to ths type:-

1. "Why? You asked for an estimate for the whole job which is what you have got."

2. "I would be happy to provide you with a breakdown of labour and materials on receipt of your payment of £100.00 to cover the costs of the work this involves"

3. "No!"
You must get plenty of referrals with your customer friendly attitude.
Why wouldn't you think someone would want to understand the breakdown of labour? Seems a perfectly reasonable explanation to me and personally I would rather see a breakdown (not of every single piece of material) and I always get this from the regular trades I use

Agree with you PE

The more you tell, the more you sell.
i.e. the more specified your quotation is the better a prospect knows what he/she's getting for the amount you ask.

Giblets: why not try it out and see if you get more quotes accepted this way. Nice test ;)

I sort of agree here..but I must admit I do ask customers who try to knock me down 'why would I want to do that?'

They normally come back with 'I just thought you might be able to do it cheaper'...do they ask that in Tescos?

But its easier to 'adjust' your labour/material costs..just take a bit off the labour price and add it to the materials..as I said before some people are perfectly happy to pay 70 odd quid for a tin of paint..but dont think your time labour and skill is worth as much.

I wouldnt say point '2' though...that will definately lose you work.

Some people just have to have a 'deal'...if you saidyou would paint a room for a quid thy will still want it for 99p...I normally explain to the people that ok I could knock the price down this time...but what do they think is going to happen next time they ask for one?...

Theres nothing wrong with shopping around for the best price but some people want a knock down without even comparing prices, if I know im low I normally say get some other quotes and we can have a chat...knowing full well they probably wont be able to get one cheaper..and if they do then its a case of swallowing your pride and walking away knowing some idiot is doing it for peanuts.

3. "No!"

I usually ask the client how they want to see the quote as in parts and labour or just a final cost.

If the quote is going to be time consuming I will give an overall quote first and then ask if the figure is acceptable. If it is I will break down my labour and materials at that point.

You must have a very full order book giblets to get away with treating your clients in such a manner.

Some people are perfectly happy to pay 70 odd quid for a tin of paint...

Do people really pay £70 for a tin of paint? :eek:

I get 6 litres of magnolia for £6.:cool:

Farrow and ball..fired earth and the rest of the poncy stuff that people beleive they are getting something extra special

my mate just tells his customers he will get the poncey stuff mixed in trade paint for half the price. bettere quality same colour. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back