Why do some customers think they know Better ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the moment I have a few jobs on the go, but one customer phoned me and asked if I was the manager/ boss of the company. I said yes and how could I help them very polite as always.

She then started banging on that she worked in the building trade And knew I was ripping her off . She claimed she knew the right people and she knew the price of materials an so on and told me I was over charging her on materials, which I was not.

I asked her why she accepted my quote before we took on the work if she thought we were ripping her of with materials ? She told me she was going to get her own materials which I had no problem with so I put the job on hold for a few days.

On site she showed me what she was charged for the materials I told her she was needing to complete the job.... I had to force my mouth shut with shock as she paid £600 more on materials than I had quoted her originally ?.
All because her son in law who had said he could get the materials cheaper because he worked in some sort of building merchants.

Is she mad or has the cowboys out there made people so untrusting in there local builders ?

Sponsored Links
did you point out the difference in costs?

would have been worth it to see her face when the penny drops

I love those "I've worked in the trade" or "I know a [insert trade/profession] and he said ...." comments.

I wonder what happens when a few tiles break or you need a bit more felt half way through the work - will she have to run out and get some for you, as she does not trust you to buy them? ;)

i dont touch customers who say they will supply the materials. They never turn up on time and are never the right amount or quality. It always makes a job a complete headache

Sponsored Links
We get idiots like this sometimes, we just say there is no guarantee on the materials whatsoever and it usually puts them off.

I really don't think she realizes her so called son in law or whoever in the trade has ripped her off . I gave her my quote a month or so ago and then after she complained about the materials being to costly I simply gave her the list of all materials needed to carry out the works. She honestly thinks she has got one over on me with a almost smirk on her face. I am going to point out the true cost of the materials she has purchased after she pays me for the work.

Not to be nasty just to wipe that smug grin of her face. Absolutely laughable.

Wow, Man you have to TRAIN and enlighten your accounts.

First off I am THIRD generation of roofer and first Master plumber and Let me tell you your mistakes

1- If they supply materials be very happy and put the following on the new contract "NO guarantee" on mateirals supplied by others

2- If they give you the specifications write down "did job as directed" and have them sign it now your off the hook UNLESS IT IS AGAINST CODES

3- Run don't walk away from these morons.

4- There is of course the unwritten PUNISHMENT fee for pains in the butt accounts.

I have no problem giving an hourly rate for folks who want to supply mateirals as one lawyer insisted so I showed up with my car not my work van as he said he will supply everything.

When he wanted the sink installed I said ok got a screw driver? any wrenches how about solder /flux torch

After all he said supply everything except the needed skill level

I love those "I've worked in the trade" or "I know a [insert trade/profession] and he said ...." comments.

i had to laugh not too long ago i had a guy who wanted his kitchen tiling.

anyway, on day 2 he told me he used to be a tiler but couldnt get the work so left the business, i then asked him why he hadnt done the job himself, so he said not got the time, as he lit another fag and carried on watching daytime tv......

:eek:

we always insist that if they want to supply materials thats fine but all standing time, and return visits due to shortages incomplete orders etc are chargeable. we also explain that our cost for materials includes for all the running about measuring ordering collecting etc so if they supply materials fine,but all quantifying will be charged hourly pro rata. usually they figure out its better to let us supply materials. we are also allowed to make a profit on the materials I am told but to some thats sacralidge.

once went to court for a non payer who's defence was i had charged him more for the materials than he could have got them for . the district judge actually asked the guy but would you have had to use your time and transport etc to collect the goods? his reply obviously yes. judges reply well so did this man and hes entitled to add a reasonable mark up for profit. WMS 1 nonpayer 0 and we got paid. :LOL:

once went to court for a non payer who's defence was i had charged him more for the materials than he could have got them for . the district judge actually asked the guy but would you have had to use your time and transport etc to collect the goods? his reply obviously yes. judges reply well so did this man and hes entitled to add a reasonable mark up for profit. WMS 1 nonpayer 0 and we got paid. :LOL:

Glad and thankful to see a Judge with brains

I did an outside a few years ago the customer insisted on getting the materials cos he 'knew someone' I said ok..didnt even tell him how many cans he needed...the person he 'knew' could do that for him ..why should I waste my time?

He was a arrogant old sod who said he didnt to be ripped off and 'knew the score' with people in the building trade and had 'done painting' :rolleyes: ..I told him I had no intention of ripping him or anyone else off and I really should have walked away at that point

Day of the job..he proudly showed me the 20 gallons of Dulux weathershield he had..specially mixed..(ho ho ho..do you know whats coming yet?) and 'only paid' £30 quid for a five litre tin :D

Finished the job..three coats on exterior walls..hes attidue completely changed he was over the moon with the job and the facts id even cleaned his windows while I was up there..he commented on how profession I was and how he was going to reccomend me to his friends..

Come settling up he paid in full..cash on the nail..and stuck a fiver in on top for a drink.

I was praying for him to ask me how much paint was over..12 gallons!!

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

unfortunatly he didnt...so I asked him what he was going to to with the spare paint..he said was going to take it back to B an Q..(hang on..didnt he say he 'knew somone'?????)

I reminded him that as it was a special colour mix they wouldnt touch it and it was a shame I didnt work out the materials for him and got the paint..I feigned a bit of shock when he told me the price and said 'wow...I get that for 14 quid!!'..and its the trade quality. (as it happens it was 17 quid but I felt obliged to rub it in!!)

Hes wife went red...you could see she was totally ****ed off at this penny pinching

I drove away smiling, almost hearing the 'I TOLD YOU!!! I TOLD YOU!!!...Resonating from the walls of the house..

**** em ! :evil:

It really doesn't bother me if clients want to supply their own materials, it save me the hassle of going to get them and absolves me from any warranty I have to offer on the materials.

My situation is different to say a builder or a roofer as I operate as a general maintenance guy for landlords so my materials might be curtain poles or light fittings rather than an lorry load of sand/bricks etc.

Some people do think that your van is an extension of every wholesaler in the district and you can magic the required part from said vehicle. Also that parts (that are not on your Tardis) will appear on their own running down the road and jumping into the property that needs them :LOL: :LOL:

on the other hand....

I had a builder that claimed to get the best rates for everything. He was a very small-time chap, and reasonably experienced, but has a mate 'John' that can beat all prices, get better prices than a volume house-builder etc etc.

His claims were so outlandish, that i took on the responsibility of geting SOME of the materials. (Whilst not a builder, i work in the industry, and am quite capable of working out programme, lead-ins, volumes and wastage)

On the list of various materials we were talking about, I got prices of £870, and he achieve a remarkable £1,190.
We both had quotes as proof.
His quantities were erratic to say the least.

We went with my prices and quantities, and all was rosy.

I am sure this is rare, but some of us do know when we're being spun a line

Bilous comment brough smile to my face.
When customers used to say Have you not got the part with you. I used to look at the van keys then look out the window at the van. They would give you a puzzled look. As i said just checking that i only have a van not an articulated lorry with every part for thousands of appliances.
The other one was " I told the girl on the phone what part was needed why have you not brought it".
OK when its not that part are you going to pay for it
Customers dont you just love them.

I reminded him that as it was a special colour mix they wouldnt touch it and it was a shame I didnt work out the materials for him and got the paint..I feigned a bit of shock when he told me the price and said 'wow...I get that for 14 quid!!'..and its the trade quality. (as it happens it was 17 quid but I felt obliged to rub it in!!)

Hes wife went red...you could see she was totally p****d off at this penny pinching

I drove away smiling, almost hearing the 'I TOLD YOU!!! I TOLD YOU!!!...Resonating from the walls of the house..

**** em ! :evil:

:LOL: :LOL:

Got that on a smaller scale when a bloke accepted my quote but when I arrived he insisted he was going to supply the emulsion for hall. Ok ok so its 10% day @B & Q on wednsedays lol. I duly finished the job and he prsented me with the cheque and proudly pointed out he had subtracted cost of emulsion which happend to be £13.99 for 5 ltres.. Ok thats fine I said as he also gave me a tenner in hand lol.. Tho I did omit to mention that I had charged him in my quote for trade paint which at the time was £22.99. TBH I didnt realise myself till a few hrs later that he had done himself out of £9 :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back