Why do they do it?

You have just lost confidence in he Labour party and cannot vote for them again. Who will you choos

• Conservative

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Liberal Democrat

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Nobody

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Over the many years that I've watched the results of general elections I've noticed a pattern. For the most part, disaffected Labour supporters do not vote Liberal. The first solid evidence for this came in a previous election when, thanks to advances in computer graphics, we were treated to a three-way version of the famous swingometer and it was clear just how few Lib-Lab marginals there were. :eek: :eek: :eek:

The pattern has just repeated itself. Sunderland announced the first three results and they all showed significant swings to the Conservatives. Being solid Labour seats it made no difference but that's not the point. Imagine that you're a Labour voter who's been pushed too far. For whatever reason you feel unable to vote Labour this time but why give your vote to your arch enemy? :!: :!: :!:

Disillusioned Conservative supporters seem to be more thoughtful about where they cast their vote and so the Lib Dems and others generally do better when a Conservative government goes belly up. (Maybe they just can't lower themselves so far as to vote Labour :eek: :eek: :eek: but that would need a different poll.)

My mother-in-law provides a possible answer. She's always voted Labour but, if it came to the crunch, she would have to vote Conservative because she doesn't think the other parties should exist! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Her simplistic view of politics is 100% class based. If you aren't with US then you're with THEM. There is nothing in between. (When it comes to non-class - which to her means non-political - issues she is absolutely unequivocal. Her views are the only right ones and I'd bet my next week's wages that they're the same as her mother's. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: )

Now a sample of one is hardly representative so I ask all you Labour supporters out there: If push came to shove, which way would you turn? :?: :?: :?:

Sponsored Links
I've not done a rigorous statistical analysis but from watching the size of the vote for the "minor" parties as the results came in I reckon that a large number of fed up Labour voters either went BNP or did not vote, and a large number of fed up Tories went UKIP.

LibDem hardly increased their overall share of the vote, so I don't think very many people switched to them.

Considering that well over 30% of voters didn't bother, the voting "swing" to the Tories can be more easily explained by changes in the make up of this group rather than by large numbers of people switching from red to blue.

Considering that well over 30% of voters didn't bother, the voting "swing" to the Tories can be more easily explained by changes in the make up of this group rather than by large numbers of people switching from red to blue.

...voter turnout was up though wasn't it?? By like 4%. So how does that explain a swing?

Sponsored Links
"You have just lost confidence in he Labour party and cannot vote for them again. Who will you choose?"

sorry I could not take part in your poll. I have NEVER had any confidence in a Labour government. Disaster from day one when that smarmy to55pot stood on that stand and told us about all the things he was gonna screw over by throwing money and managers at it.

"You have just lost confidence in he Labour party and cannot vote for them again. Who will you choose?"

sorry I could not take part in your poll. I have NEVER had any confidence in a Labour government. Disaster from day one when that smarmy to55pot stood on that stand and told us about all the things he was gonna screw over by throwing money and managers at it.

I fell for the Blair con first time, but after about 4 years id seen through the lying prick, ive waited ever since to get rid.

...voter turnout was up though wasn't it?? By like 4%. So how does that explain a swing?

Ok, just as an example of how the maths could work.

If 30% didn't vote this time round and slightly less than half of them (14% or so of all voters) were disgruntled Labour voters. And if 35% didn't vote last time and just over half of them were disgruntled Labour back then (18% of all voters) then there's a 4% swing to Conservative right there - without anyone switching sides at all.

The "beauty" of our electoral system is that overall majorities have been won and lost on much smaller changes in the public mood than that!

mickyg said:
sorry I could not take part in your poll. I have NEVER had any confidence in a Labour government

Fair comment. It was for Labour voters only. Perhaps I should have included an extra choice: "I don't vote Labour". :) :) :) Meanwhile ---

The results so far seem to confirm my suspicions with a clear majority turning Conservative and, curiously, Lib Dems being substantially beaten by Other. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm suspicious of the high number of people who claim they would flip between labour and conversative. I have a feeling they are not ex-labour voters.

Obviously, where politics is concerned, you can't trust people to be truthful.

Sponsored Links
Back