Why heating is warm not hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had some great help balancing my rads from the forum and the heat was uniform over the system but now it's not so warm. I have turned down some rads in rooms not used all the time but how can I improve it. My pump was on 1 and it was suggested turn up to 3 this has had no effect. Any advice would help.

I had hot rads upstairs and cold down was instructed to turn all off upstairs and see what happened this made downstairs nice and warm. Decided on the balancing, but didn't have a thermoter so did it by touch.

The system is old and I am not able to replace at present it's
LPG the boiler is by Myson and is an Apollo 65/80 hot water is fine.

I also find the timer will only put the heating on when its set to both heating and water on constant. Water on timed is fine and comes on at the set times. If I put heating on timed it does not come on. Everything must be on constant and then I just use the thermostat to do the heating.
The timer is an ACL switch master model sm805, it also has a blue box showing switch master that rotates depending on the sm805 can be rotated to hot w, c heat or both. This is automatic but can be turned.

Chances are I will get an engineer in to fix but want some idea of the problem first, if its the pump I would sooner buy a new one off eBay than spend big money from the engineer. Sorry for the very long post and hope I can get some advice. Cliff

Sponsored Links
It sounds as if your balancing is not correct! The flow pipe should be at the boiler flow temperature which can be 80 C depending on your boiler setting.

And that your motor valve may be faulty!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Sorry for being a numpty but I can't see a setting on the boiler to tell or would this be upstairs with the timer hot water tank. As for the balancing I will need to get an infrared thermoter. I saw instructions not on this forum that said I could use a digital one but it took so long for each setting I gave up and did it by touch the one rad I did it on showed about 38 I think.
Cliff

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back