why is an expensive bath better?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Serious question.
I can pay £400 or £1200 for an acrylic bath. Given the effort of installation, I have no problem with the idea of using good quality stuff- but what am I paying the extra for? I realise about false economy but don't want to waste cash either.
So, what does the more expensive bath give me? Better wear? More comfortable (joke) ... what?

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Go for a caronite bath or similar .
Baths 3mm 5mm 8mm etc that is what the price difference is all about stand in a 3mm bath and it moves all over the place pulling away from walls and breaking seal etc

You can't beat doing tortoise impressions up a flight of stairs with a cast iron bath.

The good old days......allegedly!

Sponsored Links
Beware the cheap baths, the quality can be awful. I will never forget a visit to A&E once (with a friend who was unwell), one very frightened young lady was waiting to be seen. Apparently she was standing in the bath having a shower when the bath had given way under her (and she wasn't a large girl by any stretch of the imagination), causing her legs to get trapped in the broken bottom of the bath.

The Fire Service had to be called to get her free, and if the lacerations to her legs didn't leave scars once they'd healed, she had a very lucky escape. Her parents were obviously extremely shocked and concerned for their daughter, but her father was keen to warn others what had happened in the hope of preventing a similar accident to anyone else. I certainly wouldnt wish to see anyone have a similar accident either.

Thanks to you all for the warning about cheap baths.
So I guess that 3mm is cheap rubbish.
I see a lot of adverts for 5 mm baths though. Any point looking at them or should I go for 8mm?

Like buying a car, buy the best you can afford it is going to last quite a while, and the fewer problems the happier you will be.javascript:emoticon(':!:')

Go for a Caronite one as suggested earlier. You will not regret it.

I did regret it as I put a Caronite one in my own house then sold the house. In my new house its a fairly new plastic jobby so too young to chuck away, and it does its job etc, but I genuinely miss the caronite one as it was...how you say "Quality".

Alfredo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back