Why is my extension "glued" to my house?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

My property has had a small "extension consisting of a dwarf wall and UPVC upper, I suppose like a conservatory but not quite as grand. Where the dwarf twin skin cavity wall meets the main house there is a 15mm or so gap filled with what looks like silicone sealant that has begun to crack and split.

The extension was done in the 90's I believe without building regulations, as we had to sign an indemnity policy. Other than that there aren't any other problems, but I noticed this gap the other day and I suppose I expected it to be toothed into the existing brickwork.

Is it OK just to re-seal the gap. There's no cracks in the property anywhere, I've just looked.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
When you clean out the gap, in preparation for resealing, you will most likely find some form of fixing system within. It might be a stainless steel wall starter or it might just be screws or bolts, but there will probably be something there. Clean the gap and reseal with a good quality polysulphide sealant. Don't be tempted by the £1.99 ones on the shelf. Go for better quality.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back