WHY IS MY OVEN NOT WORKING?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a gas hob and oven - the hob is working fine, but after spilling some water on the hob last night, there was a spark and the oven, fan and grill will not operate now.

I've checked the cooker fuse, but still doesn't work - any ideas, please????

Sponsored Links
How does your oven normally light?. Do you have to press an igniter button or does it light when you turn on the oven control?

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry I should have said it's an electric oven, and gas hob.

The hob can normally be lit with an igniter button or by match.

The gas hob works, but the igniter button does not now.

The oven itself is turned on by a control, but there is no reponse when I turn this on - same for the grill and overhead fan.

Sound like no electrical power to the cooker switch. When you say you've checked the cooker fuse, is this the one in the main fuse box? I have a similar arrangement and spilling water has caused the mcb to trip a few times.

Sponsored Links
I've checked the fuse for the power switch which is located on a wall near to the cooker.

But as for the main fuse box, it is quite old and there is no way of telling which fuse might be the one for the cooker!

Any ideas what I should do - I'm loathe to get someone out and pay a fortune for something simple!

[Edited by francis on 11-11-2002 at 13:51 PM GMT]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back