Oven/Fuse box - NEW PLEA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

My electric oven stopped working after a large amount of water was spilled on the gas hob.

The hob works, but the oven, grill, and overhead fan are now not working at all.

I figured something must have tripped - but have checked the 13a fuse in the power socket, plus the 20a fuse in the main fuse box.

But there is still no life - any ideas????

Sponsored Links
In your original post you said there was a spark. Where did this spark come from? Was there a bang? I fear that there may be a problem with your wiring, in that the fuse has not protected the circuit and the wiring has blown out somewhere, acting as the weak point instead of the fuse. I would suggest at this stage that you need an electrician. Sorry if I can't be more helpful than this.

Have tried another fuse on the power socket and this has got the oven working - which is good news!

The ignition button for the gas oven hob still isn't working though???

I must have missed something here... Is the oven plugged into a wall socket or is it wired into a wall box?

Sponsored Links
Wired into a wall box, and have changed the fuse on that.

Ah! I see what you mean now! As I said earlier I have a similar set up, and the hob ignition box is powered from a 13 amp socket which is mounted in the back of one of the cupboards under the worktop. This is on the same side as the controls on the hob. Maybe yours is similar and the fuse in the plug could be blown. It may not be a plug, it could be a 13amp wiring outlet. Possibly worth a look?

Ignition for gas may not be working if it has a fuse near that supplies it. I would look at unit and check wiring to find fuse. Failing that HT transformer may have internally shorted after water provided conductive path.

Thanks Hamiltonandy

I'm afraid I don't understand about the HT Transformer - have checked all fuses, but no response from ignition

The ignition gave a repeated clicking sound when the water was initially spilled, as though it was trying to spark.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back