Why open stand pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am re-positioning a washing machine and have sawn off and extended the existing 32mm washing machine drain pipe by 1.5m, routing it round a couple of corners and finishing with a 45 degree open pipe at a height of about 700mm or so. Unfortunately I now find that when the machine empties there is always a splash of water back out of the pipe - I guess it is because I have increased the resistance to the flow of water, and so the pipe backs up temporarily.

I assumed that an easy fix would be to fit a spigot-type hose adaptor at the end of the pipe (and finding the right combination of fittings is proving harder than I expected!), but most people seem to advocate the open pipe scheme. Why? With an open pipe if a blockage develops the machine will flood the room, whereas with a watertight hose adaptor nothing will happen. Or is there more to it than that?

Sponsored Links
I think if there is a blockage the machine will know there is & stop pumping. My machine is connected very much as you have described & I have not had any problems.

finishing with a 45 degree open pipe at a height of about 700mm
Have you really got the 32mm drain pipe terminating at an angle of 45 degrees rather than vertical ? Make it vertical and you'll solve your problem.

Sponsored Links
An "air Break" is by far the best method of draining a washer / dishwasher to the outside world. It prevents any back syphoning of dirty water into the appliance. A vertical section of pipe 8 - 10 inches long is all you will need to prevent any splashback.

As for the pump stopping if there is a blockage.... don't you believe it.!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back