Why the tap?

JBR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry to 'borrow' this image from another thread which seems to have been locked for some reason, but I'm interested to learn what the purpose is of the 4V tap on the transformer.

Could anyone explain, please?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 167
Sponsored Links
It's a standard 12 v bell transformer. They have a tap at 4 v so they can be used on 4, 8, or 12v systems. In this case it is used at 8v. Why the earth is on the 0v tap I don't know, it is usually on the 4v tap. There is another type that is 8v with a tap at 3 v enabling its use o 3, 5, or 8v systems.

Very common. Some systems require 8v and some need 12v. These days you often see transformers that have a 24v winding with taps at 8 and 12v.

Comme ca
db_file_img_2083_750x750.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the answer Winston.

I'm also intrigued as to why the original thread was locked, though I should come to expect that sort of thing by now!

I'm also intrigued as to why the original thread was locked, though I should come to expect that sort of thing by now!
Same here, in that everything visible looks innocuous. I can but presume that some posts were removed before it was locked. I suspect that the appearance of 'transformers' in the thread may well have had something to do with it :)

Kind Regards, John

Same here, in that everything visible looks innocuous. I can but presume that some posts were removed before it was locked. I suspect that the appearance of 'transformers' in the thread may well have had something to do with it :)

Kind Regards, John
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
What's wrong with transformers?
It's the evil Terminators who are going to take over the world!

No - it was Winston + "low voltage" which did for that one.
Interestingly, recent discussions suggest that, other than in the eyes of BS7671, 'ELV' is "low voltage", so maybe the arguments are going to have to change (or disappear)!

Kind Regards, John

Maybe, but calling anything 'low voltage' is still not going to accurately the object in question.

The only way is to state the actual voltage.

Maybe, but calling anything 'low voltage' is still not going to accurately the object in question. The only way is to state the actual voltage.
Indeed so - and that's equally true throughout the range of the arbitrary classifications of voltage - not just at the lower end of 'LV'. I don't imagine, for example, that many people would even consider the possibility that a piece of equipment described as "low voltage" might be intended to be used with a supply of, say, 950V!

Kind Regards, John

If you were to look into cold cathode neon lighting, you'd find a large number of products made for domestic/hospitality interior lighting which work at a little under 1000V.

I've always assumed that's to get it to qualify as LV, instead of the HV normally used by neon signs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back