Why we are in Iraq.

I think that you will find that Venezuela and Canada have greater oil reserves than Iran , Iraq, and Saudi Arabia.

Sponsored Links
you're right, I certainly missed that point in your original post. Can you point it out to me please?

joe-90 said:
Ever heard of the 'Domino effect'?

That's what we are there for - to prevent it.

If we all pulled out of Iraq then the Iran backed Shias would engage in a brief civil war - and take control of the country at the bidding of their Iranian puppet masters.

Then the Domino effect would kick in - and the World's most Muslim country (Saudi Arabia) would swiftly fall into Iranian hands; as would every other oil producer in the Gulf.

This would mean the end of Western civilisation as we know it. A civilisation without oil just could not survive. We would all starve - and I mean that in a literal sense.

So you see - that is why we are there.

We'll be there until the oil runs out.

When it runs out, then the people of the Middle East will starve.

They have no industry or infra structure other than oil.

The average Joe on the street sees precious little of the oil revenue as his masters sell the oil to us at a silly low price.

They'll have nothing but sand when it's gone.

No wonder they are angry with the West. So would we be if we were in their shoes.

Sponsored Links
Joe-90 wrote:
There will always be oil
WOW! That's an interesting observation and I'm sure the conservationists would love to hear the rationale behind it.

I was of the belief that since current demand exceeds production then the oil will eventually run out :LOL:

Sorry John, I thought you were familiar with the concept of 'Peak Oil'. I'll take you by the hand and lead you through it when I have the time. Until then, try a little reading.

www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/

megawatt said:
Joe-90 wrote:
There will always be oil
WOW! That's an interesting observation and I'm sure the conservationists would love to hear the rationale behind it.

I was of the belief that since current demand exceeds production then the oil will eventually run out :LOL:

There will always be oil as the price will become prohibitive for daily use.

You're playing with semantics here J90, the key quote from the article "The issue is not one of "running out" so much as it is not having enough to keep our economy running." suggests that there will always be oil but, once we get to the point that there is unsufficient to meet the demand then there may not as well be any.

The fact is ... We need something else or develop our economy to be less dependant upon it so that the natural production of the resource is sufficient to meet demand ... Can you really see this happenning though?

I should have added, again from what I read, that at this moment in time it is apparently not cost effective to retrieve these oil deposits, due to various geographical and engineering reasons.
However surely it could not cost more than what the USA is spending on the current military operations in Iraq.
If that is the case and I am sure Bush is aware of this then could the reason be he wants to finish off what his dad started.
Like father like son, its happened before.

The Bush family are good ol' oil men. Oil's been in their family for generations.

Funny thing is - I could say exactly the same for Bin Laden ;)

Heck! The guy was even on the CIA payroll! My guess is - that he still is.

megawatt said:
You're playing with semantics here J90, the key quote from the article "The issue is not one of "running out" so much as it is not having enough to keep our economy running." suggests that there will always be oil but, once we get to the point that there is unsufficient to meet the demand then there may not as well be any.

The fact is ... We need something else or develop our economy to be less dependant upon it so that the natural production of the resource is sufficient to meet demand ... Can you really see this happenning though?

Yes. I think you put that very well.

The problem with the second part of your post is that Mother Nature put the energy into oil - and it has no replacement.

i dont want you all to get steam up, but did we ever go to war over coal choo choo choo puff puff :cool:

Sponsored Links
Back