Wild West

I once worked with someone who came from Salford and I can't guarantee this story but he told me that when he went back to visit family, he would have to pay the kids in the street not to trash his car.
you mean the same as the un-original boring crud you come out with half the time?
You underestimate me boyo, I come out with boring crud ALL the time.
you mean the same as the un-original boring crud you come out with half the time?
You underestimate me boyo, I come out with boring crud ALL the time.
I find you quite entertaining nosey. The way you post your 'crud', wait for someone else to research it, then thank them. :D

Sponsored Links
And to make things better, the government are planning on bringing in such huge cuts to Lancashire Police that they will have to sell off all their guns to be able to pay for their evening tea.

Policing will be done from the station, with home visits only "on the way home from work" :)
They really can't see it, can they?
Yes, they want to cut public expenditure and I can see the sense in that: exactly the opposite of the Labour mantra - spend, spend, spend, borrow, borrow, borrow, spend, spend, spend.

But I can think of many areas of public spending that can - and should - be cut as soon as possible: foreign aid, four-star hotel prisons, generous government and senior civil servants' expenses and pensions and, perhaps the most wasteful of all, contributions to the EU empire.

Yet, they cut police and the armed forces: the very people who are there to protect us.

What should we do? Pay protection money to the Mafia?

I once worked with someone who came from Salford and I can't guarantee this story but he told me that when he went back to visit family, he would have to pay the kids in the street not to trash his car.

That's the old joke.

Bloke parks car in a side street before he goes to watch the Manchester City match

Two urchins: "£5 to look after your car mister"
Man "No need - my rottweiler's in the car"
Two urchins "Puts out car fires does he?"

I find you quite entertaining nosey. The way you post your 'crud', wait for someone else to research it, then thank them. :D
Ta duck.
I did try doing my own research, but the league table headers were sideways on and rather small and making my neck ache.

I was in the vicinity.

And the point was made.

Sponsored Links
And to make things better, the government are planning on bringing in such huge cuts to Lancashire Police that they will have to sell off all their guns to be able to pay for their evening tea.

Policing will be done from the station, with home visits only "on the way home from work" :)
They really can't see it, can they?
Yes, they want to cut public expenditure and I can see the sense in that: exactly the opposite of the Labour mantra - spend, spend, spend, borrow, borrow, borrow, spend, spend, spend.

But I can think of many areas of public spending that can - and should - be cut as soon as possible: foreign aid, four-star hotel prisons, generous government and senior civil servants' expenses and pensions and, perhaps the most wasteful of all, contributions to the EU empire.

Yet, they cut police and the armed forces: the very people who are there to protect us.

What should we do? Pay protection money to the Mafia?
The state should allow the citizen to defend himself,criminals only prey on those they perceive to be weaker than themselves.
Do special constables still exist?if not the government should consider bringing them back.

I was unaware that it wasn't fully repealed until 1998. Are there any known reasons for the delay?
It was fully repealed for murder in 1969, following the trial suspension in 1965, but technically it remained available as an option for a few other things, including treason, piracy, and, if I recall correctly, something about arson in H.M. Dockyards. I believe a couple of those were repealed some years later, and 1998 was when it was finally repealed for treason. Nobody had actually been executed for treason since just after the end of World War II, though.

P.S. Never mind - Just saw the earlier replies. Not sure why they didn't show up before I started to post.

The state should allow the citizen to defend himself,criminals only prey on those they perceive to be weaker than themselves.

I agree, but the usual response is 'look at America'. What they tend to forget is that the average Brit is different from the average Yank. Why not compare us to the Swiss, who also are allowed to carry firearms (at least in their own homes)?

Do special constables still exist?if not the government should consider bringing them back.

No, but Plastic Policepersons do. Policing on the cheap.

I agree, but the usual response is 'look at America'.
Any crook who goes breaking in somebody's home around here knows that there's a pretty good chance he could end up staring down the barrel of the homeowner's gun and that said homeowner would almost certainly not be averse to using that gun if he tries to cut up rough. That's got to be a deterrent.

Last edited:

I agree, but the usual response is 'look at America'.
Any crook who goes breaking in somebody's home around here knows that there's a pretty good chance he could end up staring down the barrel of the homeowner's gun and that said homeowner would almost certainly not be adverse to using that gun if he tries to cut up rough. That's got to be a deterrent.
I completely agree and, if it were allowed, I'd probably invest in a reliable handgun.
You must admit, though, that it's almost every day that you hear on the news that some American has shot another American dead. I'm sometimes surprised that there are any left!

It's true that per capita there are more gun-related killings in the U.S. than in the U.K., but I wonder how killings using something other than a firearm compare? I don't think I've ever seen statistics for that, because the media is usually too wrapped up in the gun angle.

They keep saying that the ever-stricter gun laws in Britain are responsible for the lower figures, but I'm not really sure that takes into account underlying historical differences. I do remember reading some years ago that toward the beginning of the century (20th, that is!) when U.K. & U.S. firearms laws were not all that different the U.K. figures were still considerably lower, taken in proportion.

They are strict; only criminals are allowed to carry guns in the UK.
As the bumper stickers here say: "If guns are outlawed, only outlaws have guns."

Ahh but the Bill of rights was spelled wrong. What should have been "Citizens have the right to bare arms " was mis-spelled as "bear arms". The US government at the time wanted everyone with nice sun tanned arms. :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Sorry to harp on, as I've said this countless times before, but I believe a far more effective deterrent to gun-related crime would be the return of the professional hangman.

Unfortunately, the bleeding heart brigade disagrees with me and, as we all know, their word counts.

I once pulled a fake gun on someone who was about to cause me trouble. It diffused the situation instantly. I'm not willing to go into any detail obviously.

Sponsored Links
Back