will cooker point cope with new cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Presently I have a 45A socket for a free standing cooker
Have just ordered kitchen from B+Q
Unlike homebase B+Q publish Ampage ie 32 for double oven and 30 for hob. So at full capacity I want 62A from a 45A point
My options seem to be 'suck it and see'. OR
Get new cable fitted (from fuse box other side of dining room). OR
A compromise would be to insert some heavier duty cable now before I fit units and then get this connected if required.
This must be a potential issue for many people upgrading their kitchen
Any advice appreciated
thanks

Sponsored Links
You should be ok.....presumably the circuit is run in 6mm2 and is protected by either a 30amp fuse or 32amp MCB at the consumer unit. The application of diversity will make this set up OK

The connection point has a max current capacity of 45A but that's not what you need to look at.

You need to look at the fuse (or MCB) in your fusebox that powers your existing cooker and see what the rating is.
Then you need to say what size cable you have that runs from the fusebox to the cooker.

My bet is that your fuse wil only be around 30amps which would power just the hob. you'd need a new separate circuit for the oven.

Please note that running a new circuit requires expertise. Also, running a new circuit and any electrical work in a kitchen comes under Building regulations Part P and will need notification to your local council.
This costs money, or you could use a qualified, registered electrician - get one local to you at
www.competentperson.co.uk

you can run a hob and an oven from one 32A switch on
a single 32A mcb.
pompeygit was right. you use diversity.
and 6mm t&e will be ok.

Sponsored Links
TTC I agree 100% with your sentiments. If I was installaing from new I would fit 2 circuits. However in this instance I think you can apply diversity as outlined in the OSG and be safe off a 32amp breaker. Applying diversity to his situation would give 25amps for his configuration. The standardised circuits in the Electrician's Guide to the Building Regs(published by IEE), allow 32amp breakers and 6mm2 cable for oven/hob situations and even allow for a socket on the cooker switch (that I find unbelievable).

These standardised circuits are often used by sparks who can't be a**ed to do calcs.......a sort of 1 cap fits all. It stipulates the max run of cable, the cable size, and the breaker size. I merely point out what the IEE say in this book.

The OP would be doing right by upgrading his cable/or running another circuit, but if it means destroying his decor then there is the alternative. I just put a clamp on my oven and hob (all 4 plates on very hot) and a SINGLE oven on max and it was drawing 30.4amps.

I must admit I can't remember the last time we had all 4 plates on at the same time. I guess you pay yer money and take yer choice......

Yes it'll do,just, if we assume its 32A

I'm just a lot more cautious as i hate my customers to phone me on Xmas Day to say the fuse has blown because they had the turkey in the oven and all the rings were being used on the hob.

I prefer a gas hob anyways...solves all sorts of problems. ;)

The application of diversity will make this set up OK

No it wont. The application of diversity is to assess the maximum demand of the installation as a whole.

433.1.1 says the current setting of the protective device (In) must not be less then the design current (Ib)

Regards

The application of diversity is to assess the maximum demand of the installation as a whole.

Now read 311.1

In determining the maximum demand of an installation or part thereof, diversity may be taken into account.

:oops:
I have just had a look at my shiny new Amicus guide and it does say you can use diversity to assess the demand of an installation OR final circuit.

I will let you off this time :LOL:

regards

May a pop a related question.

I'm redoing all the ceilings at the moment, and will be fitting cables just incase they're needed in the future.

The oven/hob are currently gas.

Can I take it from the above posts that a 10mm2 cable will cover me for the majority of installations, should I ever switch to electric oven/hob in the future?

And does the same go for showers. Should a 10mm2 cable be enough for most showers?

Just to clarify, I won't be connecting these, either at the CU or in the kitchen/bathrooms. It's just to cover any future changes.

thanks I have a reasonable grasp of the situation now (have been reading up on 'diversity'). I'll take my chances at Christmas dinner...one final question...the existing 45A point is about 5yrs old and goes into a new consumer unit (which was added to my existing cosumer unit)...I assume that on Christmas day the trip switch will simply go if wiring cant cope (I just read something elswhere about wires burning ..end ofhttp://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070531035747AAbfRB1
If you get chance please add some reassurance about this 'burning' issue
thanks agian to all who advise

We have made assumptions here....what is the breaker size, cable size, and does the switch have a socket?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back