Will I be OK on this & will it work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Unvented system. Everything works well but having changed AAV, thanks for your advice, I noticed dirty water and "bits" when I let out the pressure through the "out" pipe below boiler attached to mains inlet.

I propose putting cleaner in system running for say 4 hours and then draaining down whole system. Then take off all the rads, hose them out in the garden (rubber hammer bought!) and replace on the system. Refill and drain down, refill and drain down and then refill with inhibitor.

Is this a way of cleaning the system out thoroughly. All my downstairs rads are fed from upstairs, the main drain off point I put in a few years ago is in the garage by a drain. Should I drain down through the boiler drain down as mentioned above for some of the time.

Can I actaully keep the water moving on draindown by keeping the top up valves open from the mains or is this a no no.

Decided to do it this way, as my wandering son has returned and for the next couple of weeks I will have a "lifter" for the rads, albeit not the most enthusiastic, but if he wants feeding............

As always thanks in advance your help/advise always very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It will clean it to an extent, but there are better ways of doing it, you will need to flsuh each leg individually if youre downstairs rads are on drops, and leave the clenser in 4 longer maybe 7 days and run heating. Atleast it wont cost you any labour

"Everything works well"........So leave it alone!

The majority of systems will have some debris. If you have cold spots on radiators or circulation problems then action is needed and what you propose is a good way of cleaning the system. Ollie20 is right, I would only circulate cleaner for less than a day on a new system. You can leave it in for a month or more if necessary depending on the manufacturer.

You didn't mention how dirty the water was though? If it looks like the Gulf of Mexico, powerflush it.

Thanks guys, the water is off colour rather, more weak cola than black, Gulf of Mexico. I did not realise that you could put in cleaner for a long time, I was thinking of using Fernox - would that be OK for say a month. Drain it down, refill with protector and thats it - do you agree?

Basically will need to do this at end of September, when she who must be obeyed will start altering the thermostat!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
dolph, look at my video on flushing systems, utube, toms top tips ,
no need to remove rads, flush them from an outside tap, i've done loads and have had good results,

Thanks jackpike thats seems sensible. The video was a bit noisy but as I understand, take off one rad to use as inlet and outlet. Then close all rads down, bar one and flush, HOW LONG?, then close this one down and open up another and repeat flushing procedure.

When you say open up fully do you open manual valve to its fullest extent and take cap off thermostat/open to maximum 5.

The one thing that had me puzzled was the closing off of the boiler, how do I exactly do this? Do you not have to clean boiler or is this little part of the circuit left closed?

Will say the tips videos were fascinating, spent a good while watching most of the others, brings a new meaning to the reason why there is a 5p piece!!

dolph, look at my video on flushing systems, utube, toms top tips ,
no need to remove rads, flush them from an outside tap, i've done loads and have had good results,

JACKPIKE YOURE NOT TOM PLUMB OFF YOU TUBE ARE YOU???????? :eek: WHERE BOUTS IN LANCASHIRE YOU FROM BURNLEY OR BOLTON SOMEWHERE LIKE THAT??????????

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back