Will I get ripped off by engineers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I occasionally get sent emails asking for help. This one today has prompted me to open a discussion and to try to give some advice which might help. This is today's email:-

"""Hi, I wonder if you could just give me some advice please as I don't want to get ripped off by incompetent gas engineers, of which there seem to be plenty. I don't want to be fooled by the change the pcb trick and still have the same problem."""

I would say that with an independent if you have called them and asked them to diagnose the fault and they replace parts which dont cure the problem then you should not be paying for the part and they should then reassess their diagnosis until they get it right ( and at no extra charge such as any further hourly rate )

In my view its better to go with someone who has a fixed price or capped hourly rate otherwise you could end up paying for many hours spent looking for the fault because they are not very skilled at the task.

Alternatively you could use a BG, manufacturer's or other fixed price repair which is usually cheaper if expensive parts are needed. On the other hand its more expensive if no or cheaper parts are needed. I would say that less than 10% of my total repair charges are over £200 and even so very few over £250.

It would be interesting if I was able to add a poll to this post with questions on the reasonableness of what you have been charged for boiler repairs ( as compared with your solicitor or dentist for example )

Sponsored Links
I would say that with an independent if you have called them and asked them to diagnose the fault and they replace parts which dont cure the problem then you should not be paying for the part and they should then reassess their diagnosis until they get it right ( and at no extra charge such as any further hourly rate

Agree with that.

The customer has contracted (verbally or written) the guy to repair the boiler, if the same fault exists after a repair then that contract hasnt been fullfilled.

Agile sorry to say but most boiler repair men are crooks. I know a very good family friend who is a boiler/bg engineer and he has shown me just how they rip people off and just how easy and quick many of these repairs are.

I personally would never ever call a guy up from yellow pages. I'm lucky in the sense we have guys in this trade who are close friends. But i really do feel sorry for those who dont personally know people in this area of work, as they are like lambs to the slaughter.

My ambition is to eventually become a boiler/gas engineer and put all these crooks out of business by undercutting them in a big way :)

Conmen of Coventry - Be warned, your days are numbered.

I know a very good family friend who is a boiler/bg engineer and he has shown me just how they rip people off and just how easy and quick many of these repairs are.

Seeing as BG customers pay monthly its irrelevant how quick the repairs are as they get arts and labour included.

im pretty sure a world of abuse is heading to this thread now :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Agile opens another can of worms......I just wonder how many pages this one will run to!!!
FFS why dont you just put a lid on it!!!

Agile sorry to say but most boiler repair men are crooks. I know a very good family friend who is a boiler/bg engineer and he has shown me just how they rip people off and just how easy and quick many of these repairs are.

My ambition is to eventually become a boiler/gas engineer and put all these crooks out of business by undercutting them in a big way :)

Conmen of Coventry - Be warned, your days are numbered.
It`ll be like a boxing match - Naz Vs. BG :cool: Nowt` to do with anyone`s competence - just the power of advertising . Look after your world , and Their shareholders :LOL: . Every time Bald Dom and the crazy motorbikers get on the TV it`s another nail in the independant`s coffin - and BG are there with the hammer

BG are the biggest con men full of people waiting to retire part changers an salesmen! Now they goin round fittin spiro vents which r not required , get rogue traders after that lot

if your good you don't need to undercut anyone, just charge a fair price for a good job.

in short yes you could be
but then again no you won`t be depends completly on the indivdual you get in
you get good bg engineers
you get some p!$$ poor ones who try and sell you some thing
you get same with who ever you hire
independants do have to look after their rep though

Many would wonder if you really want to join that trade and follow the tips he has given you!

I have done many boiler repairs at reasonable prices, including quite a few in Cov, but I am not aware of putting any crooks out of business.

I had a nice meal on Tuesday evening at that restaurant about 1/2 mile north of the Gas Club in Cov!

Its a while since I had been there and its been done up nicely. There were quite a few eating there.

Tony

Of course there's good & bad everywhere. But it always amazes me how the great British public selects any tradesman. They are lazy, they don't check out the people they let into their homes. They think that any chancer with a van, a mobile phone number & an advert in the local rag is a tradesman??!!! They don't ask relatives & friends for recommendations, they don't check if they're members of any trade associations.....etc etc.

You'll always pay more for a Bona Fide tradesman, but if they have a landline phone number, address & a member of a trade association, you have some recourse.

Not that I condone in any way anyone being ripped-off, but some deserve it.

Many would wonder if you really want to join that trade and follow the tips he has given you!

I couldnt get myself to rip people off. Even charging a fair price would mean i'm charging a lot less then a lot of these repair men do.

I had a nice meal on Tuesday evening at that restaurant about 1/2 mile north of the Gas Club in Cov!

is this the place called "Howdeez?" American style diner?

I couldnt get myself to rip people off. Even charging a fair price would mean i'm charging a lot less then a lot of these repair men do.

You can not repair a boiler, for starts not qualified.
No expreraince, so even looking at it your ripping them off.
Know some the question you have asked, on plumbing side have been funny. But you charge less as you are not as competent, as some of others on here. So you know room to talk, yet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back