Will i need a new gas pipe run?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Im considering gettting a gas cooker and hob.
I currently only use the mains gas for heating.
My mains gas comes into my garage in a 1" pipe and is reduced to 10mm once it comes inside the wall and goes straight to the boiler.
The position of where id like to put my new cooker(havent got it yet) is basically the other side of the wall where the current gas pipe runs to my boiler.
Will the gas crowd need a bigger pipe than the 10mm to supply both appliances?..or will they just tee off it to the cooker?
just trying to get an idea of how much work they will need to do.
Cheers,
Marty.

Sponsored Links
10mm internal gas pipe? Is this a wind up :eek: ?

If this is true then you will most definatley need it upgrading to at least 22mm copper.

Your RGI will advise on site.

Hey..only back online now.
I didnt measure the pipe...its the traditional half inch copper pipe...maybe its 12 or 15mm, i stopped carrying my vernier calipers around with me everywhere as it was freaking people out.
Anyway if im reading ye right it isnt sufficient for both appliances.
The reason im asking is that i am having my gas meter moved to allow me to carry out ground works elsewhere and maybe i should have them re run the whole lot while im @ it.
Im in ireland so no corgis...we call them boird gais and they like to fleece us too!
Marty.

Sponsored Links
Im in ireland so no corgis...we call them boird gais and they like to fleece us too!
Marty.
post-386-1127687954.gif

Bet you were looking for a reason all day to use those fellas!!

Notice how you didnt get any more posts after that comment !!

We are not all rip offs buddy!!

So you want free advice from from the very people you accuse of being fleecers :rolleyes:

Whatever..just having a bit of banter...and yes they are ripping me off..700€ to move a meter 4 foot along an outside wall.
And thats with me doing all the excavations...they are merely plumbing it.
So i just thought id try and get a bit more work out of them if required while they were there as im sure if i were to call em back id get charged a callout fee twice.
Marty

So do you mean your service provider coz over here CORGI guys do the work in the house from the meter and the service provider does the supply to the meter ?

Yeah i mean the provider...maybe im wronging Corgi so by making the assumption that its the same setup as here, but in ireland as far as i know the only guys who do gas work as in plumbing etc are the national provider "boird Gais".
Actually now that i think of it i must check that out for sure as if that is the case id surely get it done cheaper by an equivalent of your corgi guys.
Thanks,
Marty.

marty you need someone competant pref with g1/g2/g3 certification 700euro is buttons to move the supply bord gais :oops: are only the suppliers.

Yeah at the end of the day its not a whole pile of cash..but its still steep considering im doing the excavation...ive no choice in who to get to do it.
700€ is 500£ to do 4 foot of plumbing!..take an hour??!

numoty1...you appear to be knowledgeable about the irish system...can i get someone other than boird gais to run a bigger pipe that will supply both my boiler and the oven im thinking of getting? i think its a 22mm pipe someone mentioned i need.
Thanks,
marty

yes as long as they hold g1/g2,if you are near the border a northern corgi can do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back