will this panel heater be enough heat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got a 12 foot by 12 foot bedroom without central heating. Was wondering if one of these boys would be enough to keep it fairly warm. The window is double glazed.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Delonghi-HL...37504?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1190754968&sr=8-1

Its a Delonghi 800 watt wall mounted oil panel heater. The reason I was attracted is cos it has an economy setting of only 3 p an hour. that way i could have it on all night without costing the earth.

is this enough though to not have me being frozen in bed in January? Maybe I could get a stand alone oil heater on top to plug in at the wall.

Sponsored Links
oooh
ive seen one of these in a friends conservatory, very powerful. struggles to keeep the whole room at the desired temperature during winter, but believe me you, for a poorly built/leaking conservatory with dimensions 6m x 8m, it performs very well. I think it will cope well in your room. Be careful with kids around though, these oil filled heaters get extremely hot whilst performing at optimum levels..

800w would make virtualy no differerence in a conservitory as the heat loss would be many times the output :rolleyes:

a 3p setting is going to be around 400w these are realy keeping the chill off and no more

if you open the window for ventilation duting the day or have a ventilator open every day like you should have you will virtualy remove all the heat benefits

a more powerfull heater would be more economical at giving you a comfortable temperature when you need it

if you have a 400w heat loss in the room and your heater is giving out 800w it may take 6 hrs to warm at 400w an hr[400w wasted 400 heating]

but if you use a 2kw heater you loose 400w but you have 1600 heating so 2.5 times the power heats 4 times quicker and would heat the same room in say 30 to 40 mins

the warmer the room gets the greater you lose in heat loss so when the 800w heater is loosing 75 percent in lost heat [600w]the 2000w heater is still running at 1400w or only a 30 percent loss in heating

and 3p an hour for 10 hrs a day is £9 a month or £110 a year :rolleyes: ;)

Don't guess, calculate. Here's an example based on some very rough and ready figures for thermal conductivity. Maybe you can find better ones in the building forum.

Ceiling (insulated) = 13 sq m at 0.3 W/sq m/°C = 3.9 W/°C.
Outside wall = 9 sq m at 0.5 W/sq m/°C = 4.5 W/°C.
Window = 3 sq m at 2 W/ sq m/°C more than the wall = 6 W/°C.

That's a total of 14.4 watts per °C so if it's -5° outside and you want 20° inside you'll need 360 watts. Now add extra for ventilation. That's another 360 watts if you want one air change per hour.

If you have two, or even three, external walls or a bigger window you should calculate accordingly.

Sponsored Links
big-all said:

Errrmmm--- So you keep the heater on full throughout the summer too?

:eek:

RufusA said:
is this enough though to not have me being frozen in bed in January?

Why not just get a duvet?

There's never any need to heat bedrooms in this country.

Eeeh, when I were a lad... ;)

thanks for everybodies replies. I will look at oil filled radiators I think, say 2.5 KW.

:)

dingbat said:
There's never any need to heat bedrooms in this country.

In the late sixties when central heating was the exception rather than the rule, there were public service announcements on TV advising us on how to set our thermostats. I remember them clearly. The recommended temperatures were 70°F for living rooms, 65°F for halls, a chilly 60°F for bathrooms and, wait for it, 55°F for bedrooms - and no duvets either!

If there was an energy shortage at the time I don't remember it. Was the government of the day worried about population growth or, more likely, was this just another manifestation of the instinctive, subconscious belief amongst those in authority that recreational sex is their exclusive preserve? And that's enough big words for this time of the morning!

Stoday said:
big-all said:

Errrmmm--- So you keep the heater on full throughout the summer too?

:eek:

ok i forgot it was a heater :D ;)

it was to illistrate that only 3p is quite a lot over the months ;)

I have a 1kw oil radiator in my bedroom. Its in the bay window, as a topup to the central heating. The bay window looses a LOT of heat, and I do wake up freezing, literally. I normally have it on all night on the 400 watts setting. Keeps the room warm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back