williss immersion heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an immersion heater thats not working. Its called a willis type thats situated on the outside of the hot water cylinder, and i would like to test if its the power to the switch thats at fault. The switch is the fused connection type with the neon light. Can i test it with a phase tester or do i need a mutimeter. I heard you have to be very carful when doing this. Also is the fact that the red light is off an indication of no power going to the switch,or could it be that the immersion element blew the fuse when it went. Thanku for any advice.

Sponsored Links
the light off means either no power into the switch or a poor connection OR the 13 amp fuse has blown for some reason.

Safest thing is to check the fuse by removing it and testing continuity,

If its blown then tests are done at the element with the switch OFF.

It is more likely the element rather than the switch.

Sponsored Links
The willis immersion heater is something special to Ulster It is talked about here the firm still exists see here but no real info on how they are plumbed or wired.

As far as I can tell they have an immersion heater like any other system except fitted into a side tank so hot water can be drawn quicker than with type used in rest of UK.

Seems they were invented by a Belfast shipyard worker and work very well. I would love to see some pictures of them as it does seem a good idea.

Found more info here it seems this immersion heater has two thermostats one which controls water temperature which fits to side of cistern the other built into immersion the latter should be set to max and former on side of tank to 55 degs C so unlike mainland versions you have three items which could go faulty and stop it working.

dia-how-it-works2.gif
The system unlike mainland units heats the water from top down which means hot water is available quicker for drawing small quantities and also it heats whole cylinder not just the top so has more stored water available for a bath etc.

I hope you will tell us all how you get on and how good it is! Seems something similar done with solar panels never seen system before seems very good so would love to hear any reports.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back