window sill in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to change my bathroom window. I am changing all the bathroom, the bath or sink will not be near the window.
What should I use as a window cill, wood/ tiles or is there a plastic alternative. Hope you can give me some ideas.
(When i say cill i mean the area just before the window)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The norm used to be to not fit a cill board in a bathroom but tile the complete window reveal. I’ve just had all new windows fitted, including a repositioned bathroom window & have used a window board rather than tiling as I think this approach now looks very dated.

Most window boards should be OK as long as they are painted & not subjected to continual water saturation but I’ve used Polyboard for all my new internal cills. It’s more expensive than the stuff you have to paint but it looks much better; it’s laminated, easy to clean, should not deteriorate &, as long as you seal the edges, it’s very water resistant!

Sponsored Links
I have a bathroom with a window above the basin.
I have a parana pine window board.
I treated it with 20 coats of tung oil when it was first put in.
It often gets wet.
It has been there for 5 years.
I have done nothing since they were put in except a wipe with a damp cloth followed by a dry one.
They still look good.
So anybody who tells you need to do something else to make them harder wearing, either hasn't used oil or hasn't done it properly.
I also have the same boards treated the same way, in the kitchen.
All the window frames are Magnet and Southern not surprisingly treated the same way, with no maintenance for the past 5 years.
No problem.
If you do need more protection, put on the oil, wait 6 months, then put on two coats of liquit wax.
That's what I've done for the OUTSIDE of the frames.

I'm replacing the sills in the bathroom and kitchen as they were a mixture of wood boards and tiles.

After I tile up the sides to the same level as the splashbacks then I will fit 10mm toughened glass sills, back painted to match the rooms colours.

Simon

Not too much of a problem as the house is being done up to sell anyway. But even then I am screwing them in place and covering the head with caps, which allows for them to be lifted out, stripped and repainted.

simon

Hi,

i've just finished doing my bathroom, and the window was fully tiled including the cill. That has all gone, due to a change in layout the window aperture has no tiles and a wooden window cill of 1" thick timber has been made and fitted. Got the wood from a local timber yard and it cost £5. following primer, 2 coats of undercoat and then one coat of high quality gloss looks great. Alternatively i have seen PVC window cills, looks cheap and nasty though. The modern material used appears to be MDF, although how this would survive in a bathroom i'm not too sure..

Cheers

114dmu said:
The modern material used appears to be MDF, although how this would survive in a bathroom i'm not too sure..
MDF can survive providing it's treated correctly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back