Window Wont Lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a awning window in my bedroom it push's open from the bottom the handle is in the middle at the bottom.When you turn the handle 2 steel bars come out of the window and into the frame well they are supposed to but dont its stuck the bars only come out a couple off mm they do move a bit so they are not stuck anyone any ideas whats wrong
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Probably either a broken handle or gearbox, Most likely the gearbox.

You will need to take it all out, Check which part needs replacing, Take photos and accurate measurements, Look for any part codes or numbers and then try to find some replacements.

Thanks for reply's the handle is ok I will just have to use some nails to nail it shut as its on the first floor and don't have access to ladders there is another window in the room so use that if fresh air .

Sponsored Links
It should be possible to do without ladders but it does involve a bit of hanging out of the window undoing screws in an awkward position.

Assuming your windows are all the same make you could practice on a downstairs window 1st (and get the codes/sizes for a new gearbox).

You will need to take the handle off then undo the screws that hold all the locking gear in place.

If the windows are under 10 years old you maybe able to get the people who fitted them to fix it for free or maybe just a small fee. Normally its only a 1 year guarantee on the moving parts but a nice company might just fix it for free.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back