Windows not closing due to having dropped?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I've got two (top- opening) windows which seem to have dropped so much that their bottoms scrape on their (fixed) frames. I have been told that, over time, the weight of the opening window causes this. However, though one of the windows is approx 1M2 the other is approx 15x8cm. Surely weight wouldn't be a factor with the small window?

Can anyone confirm if this is the likely cause and a possible solution?

I was thinking of experimenting with the small window by opening it fully, removing the screws holding one of the hinges to the frame, and then lifting it up a touch before drilling new holes and securing at this slightly higher level with self tappers. Rinse and repeat with the other side. Is this likely to work or is it a stupid idea?
Not sure this is a viable approach to take with the larger window though. The weight would probably preclude such an approach and it may be better to remove the window altogether and fit new hinges which would I would be confident to do if the flat were not on the second floor.
Removing the sealed glass unit from the window surround is not an option either as the windows are externally glazed.

I guess I may have to call the professionals in, what do you all think?

Sponsored Links
I think you need to be very careful or one of the openers, when partially unscrewed, could fall to the ground and if someone's walking by ...

Unless you can mitigate the risk and are confident in your abilities to try the fix, I'd call in a professional.

Sponsored Links
The small window is part of a complex involving 1x Fixed pane 1x large opening window and the small one. All the opening windows have hinges on each side and 'pivot' from the top.

Maybe I've underestimated the size of the small window, but it is certainly small enough to attempt the repair I have described safely.
Whar do you all think about the idea of repositioning the hinges slightly?
Would it potentially work?

Would have thought it more likely the locking mechanism is out of line and causing binding?

No. The 'studs' on the opening part of the windows seem in line. Indeed the small one actually closes with some force applied but the bottom of the opening part brushes the keeps.

Large top hung sashes always have a tendency to drop with weight and gravity, sometimes putting a long fixing down through the frame and cill into the bricks can be enough, sometimes a thump under the opener upwards can be enough, for everything else then you need to be on the outside and remove 2 of the 3 screws holding the hinge to the sash(not the hinge to the frame), the last screw will be in an elongated hole, you'll have to see which one of the 3 this is by loosening one at a time, I'm not there so can't tell you which, anyway remove 2 and leave that one in, push the sash up and put the 2 screws back in making sure they screw into virgin plastic and not the same holes, sounds complicated, 1st floor window working off ladders or sat on a glass conservatory roof with a cordless in one hand and a mouth full of self tappers, fingertips freezing cold - welcome to my world, swear I don't charge enough for adjustments

Thanks for the detailed explanation Crank. The trouble is, with the flat being on the second floor, I have no outside access and so would find it difficult to adjust hinge to sash height. However, the video shown below advises that a hinge to frame adjustment can be done. I guess I'll have to see if I can get enough adjustment by performing the adjustment you describe on the frame side of the hinge only. Whaddya think?

Thanks, Chris

There is no hinge to frame adjustment, the hinges are always pushed right up into the corners, I don't know how big your sashes are but you mentioned one is 1m2, that will be heavy trust me and is not a one man job especially leaning right out to turn it to an angle in order to bring it in then the opposite to fit it back again, you take that last screw out that sash suddenly becomes heavy, you with a mouth full of screws and holding a drill, then holding the bottom of the sash right out just so you open up the hinge far enough to see the screw holes, on top of this it's second floor, what's below?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back