Wire pops out?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bought a remote light switch, red = live in, black = live out. connectred them but for some reason the red wire keeps coming out, do i need a new screw or a new unit?

Sponsored Links
Take the switch off the wall and the wiring.

Look at the terminals and tighten them up with a screwdriver, do both terminals fully close? Do the terminals screw / tighten correctly?

From the simple tests you will then know:-

Is the thread knackered
Is the terminal screw not fully tightening

If everything appears ok you could find that you are not pushing the wire all the way into the terminal and when you attempt to tighten the terminal on to the wire, the wire is being pushed out of the terminal rather than staying inside it.

If the terminal tightens, but there is a slight gap at the base try bending the bare wire in a 180 deg loop, This doubles the size of the wire for terminating and can resolve issues where the terminal hasn't enough wire volume to bite on to

Thanks Chri5, will check it out later when I get home, some things are so simple when you know how :LOL:

If it is just the screw not grabbing I'd suggest you bend both conductors, but don't twist them. This is just my personal preference, before people start shouting :D

Sponsored Links
I had that yesterday on a piece of equipment.

Some terminals need to be fully opened before putting the wire in other wise the wire goes under and not in the opening that closes up when the screw is tightened.

It may sound obvious but it does happen.

bernardgreen said:
I had that yesterday on a piece of equipment.

Some terminals need to be fully opened before putting the wire in other wise the wire goes under and not in the opening that closes up when the screw is tightened.

It may sound obvious but it does happen.

normally on a celing rose when you are stretching like mad to fit the bloody cable :D

just checking im right, going by the instructions

red= live in
black= live out

now the neon light has come on, but nothing worked, so i moved it a bit and the light flickered, but keeps on going off, ive taken it off now and going to try and put it back on, what would happen if i switched wires round, would it not work?

5 min job turning into a nightmare. :rolleyes: + its dark and im balancing a torch on my shoulder :(

The other thing to check is that the screw has something to screw against. That is it is often a screw through a ring (tube) and squashes the wire against the other side of the ring.

If the ring has a crack in it it may appear to tighten but is easily worked loose when angled pressure is applied by the wire bening when you fit the switch. This forces the ring open and the wire pops out. Turning on off could also cause the wire to heat up and expand the ring, turning off has the opposite effect and the wire loosens over time.

FootSore

it seems to be working now, i was just worried on which wire goes were, ive stuck to the instructions and it works so they must be right.
out of curiosity if i put the wires the other way round, would the unit have worked?

thanks for all your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back