Wiring up a new light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

I'm in the process of replacing the light switches from old (originals) to new switches. The new ones have a LIVE IN, LIVE OUT, NEUTRAL IN.

Does the BLACK wire from switch go into LIVE IN and RED wire in LIVE OUT? No need for NEUTRAL cable anywhere as I only have the two switch wires.

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Possibly, but light switches do not normally have connections for the neutral, so this suggests you have purchased the wrong type of switches, or the new switches require a neutral to function (electronic dimming rubbish perhaps?)

What type of switches are these new ones?

Possibly, but light switches do not normally have connections for the neutral, so this suggests you have purchased the wrong type of switches, or the new switches require a neutral to function (electronic dimming rubbish perhaps?)

What type of switches are these new ones?

The switches are fused with small led on front. Can this not be used? If not I'll tape the wires up and get the right one next time I'm out.

Cheers

NB - I hasten to add that I have not purchased these switches, doing a favour for someone and was hoping to use a stash I had here. ;)

13 amp switched fused spur units with neon indicator?

These are not light switches.

You need light switches.

Some may be two way (or even intermediate) switches if the light is controlled from more than one position.

Should you be doing this work?

Sponsored Links
13 amp switched fused spur units with neon indicator?

These are not light switches.

You need light switches.

Some may be two way (or even intermediate) switches if the light is controlled from more than one position.

Should you be doing this work?

No probably not but is for a neighbour who can't do it herself. I will put old switch on and get a new one.. Thanks for your help..

I just wanted to double check.

Hi Folks,

I'm in the process of replacing the light switches from old (originals) to new switches. The new ones have a LIVE IN, LIVE OUT, NEUTRAL IN.

Does the BLACK wire from switch go into LIVE IN and RED wire in LIVE OUT? No need for NEUTRAL cable anywhere as I only have the two switch wires.

Many Thanks
Lets have pictures of front and back of the switch, they may be suitable if you want a light on the switch but you will need to provide a neutral to the switch to use them.
Pictures first before the final verdict or make and model number will do

No probably not but is for a neighbour who can't do it herself.

4509206-md.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back