Wireless alarms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all , I am moving into a new build house and have a couple of questions regarding alarms,
I am looking at wireless to minimise disruption to the house .
Firstly what are the good brands in terms of reliability and could I or should I install it myself.
I just want some pasives downstairs possibly door alarm and a panic button .
Thanks for any assistance .
Regards
Howy

Sponsored Links
Anything that is using one way communication should be avoided. You can set them with a door or window open as the panel cannot ask the sensor for the state of the door / window at the time the alarm is set. Some of them can lose a sensor without the panel being aware that the sensor has been removed from the building. ( a door sensor went into the skip with the door frame and the alarm could still be set ).

Systems using two way communications can check the state of every sensor when the alarm is being set and will tell the user if any protected door or window is open. These are more expensive as every sensor has to have a receiver as well as a transmitter but they are far more reliable because a sensor will repeat alarm messages if they are not acknowledged by the panel.

A wired system is always going to be more reliable than a wireless system.

Pyronix enforcer or Texecom premier ricochet, the Texecom kits are quite flexible with 4 hardwired zones plus two on the keypad plus your 8 / 32 wireless zones depending on panel

Sponsored Links
I install Texecom and Risco just have to br aware that not all Risco wireless is 2 way but a lot of it is.

The new pyronix enforcer is available that uses the app and they also have caneras available now, well just been looking at them ay IFSEC.

some nice stuff off back to look into a few more bits in more detail.

Hi john d , I don't have a budget in mind as such I think it's more about having a decent system.
Thanks
Howy

Budget is probably the biggest dictator in what you csn have for your money

2 way is definetly best.

for £1500 you could get a good wired system.

I'd always go for a wired system, if I could. Failing that, a hybrid system (some wired and some wireless) like Scantronic's i-ON range or Risco's LiteSys. Wireless systems have almost all the problems of wired system plus all the radio problems (interference, weak signals, etc.) and batteries that need replacing regularly. Also, with wireless, you have to stick to one manufacturer's devices - you may not be able to get the detectors/bells/sounders that you want/need. And you can't conceal the transmitters ('cos you have to be able to change the batteries) so you will always have big boxey door contacts.

If you've fallen for the line about "wireless is more modern and better, isn't it" and you want apps, cameras and all that stuff, then the Risco Agility is pretty good. Others will recommend Galaxy systems too.

Thanks for all replies , is it going to be awkward to do a hard wired system in a new build that's ready to move in !
Cheers
Howy

It can be awkward but the benefits of a wired system make the effort worthwhile.

If the builders are still around they may be able to give some advice about cable routes under floor that avoid obstructions.

Almost all wired systems will work with many metres of cable between panel and sensors so there is no need to take the shortest route for the cables.

Thanks for all replies , is it going to be awkward to do a hard wired system in a new build that's ready to move in !
Cheers
Howy
Too late now obviously but out of interest why didn't you have the alarm installed during the build? Assume the house was already built rather than purchased off plan?

Drgl , yep your right caught it at the wrong stage hence I don't want to mess to much up as her indoors won't appreciate that , nice clean wall etc ..

Send her off to a spa for a pampering day with her mates - it'll be finished by the time she gets back!

Remember, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back