Wires, wires, so many wires!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am fitting a light to a newly wired room. Here's my dilemma...

The light will be worked from a two way switch. One switch positioned by the door and one switch poitioned by the bed.

At the ceiling there are:
Four cables. Each cable is 2 core (Brown/Blue) + Earth.

At both switches (door and bed) there are:
Two cables 3 core (Brown/Grey/Black) + Earth.
Plus, there is a 2 core cable (Brown/Blue) + Earth.

I'm ok with the usual three cable set up to a light fitting and two cable set up to a switch but this has baffled me, I've never seen so many cables - can anyone help?

ps. I can identify the link between switches to find the live switch from my loft. I can also see the Supply in and the Supply to the next light fitting set up. But then there seems to be an additional cable which I can't trace. Is there anything else that might help someone understand this?

Thanks for your time. Hope you can help. ;)

Sponsored Links
got a smole alarm in the room? or nearby?

photo, photo, photo...

we can be so much more help if you posted a photo..

so to clarify, you have at the switches, a 3 core and earth, and at one of the switches you have a T+E..?

at the light you have 4 x T+E?

no other lights in the room? wall light over the bed etc?

Hi, thanks for such a speedy response - I didn't expect that quite so quickly. Anyway, I'm at work right now so I can't supply a photo but I can take one tonight and post on line tomorrow so you can see what I'm trying to explain.

There isn't a smoke alarm nor was there any additional spots planned only the main centre light. Although, now you've got me thinking we did speak about putting under floor lighting in the room so maybe that's it and it'll be redundant as we decided not to have it after all (it was my 12 year old daughters idea to begin with - pink, girlie and sparkly lights if you get the picture).

So I can just ignore that cable and rip it back out then I'm back to the original plan. I think I'll be ok chaps, I'll come back tomorrow and let you know how I get on. Thanks a bundle, sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees huh.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Just thought I'd let you both know my electrics now work! I ripped out the spare cable in both the ceiling and switch (as I don't want to confuse anyone else in the future) wired it all up and hey presto there was light!

It might sound silly but I really didn't think about the cable being linked to anything extra - it had completely slipped my mind til you mentioned the possibility of a fire alarm/spots etc so thanks very much for your input else I'd still be living in the dark and scratching my head about it all now.

:)

Danni

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back