Wiring a mains powered T5 to a light switch.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there - Firstly can I say I am not going to carry out any work but just need an understanding of a problem before I purchase some lights.

So...

I would like to buy some waterproof lights for a bathroom - T5 HFI Stick-Lite - http://www.encapsulite.co.uk/

They appear to be mains powered and I would like to control these with a
normal one gang light switch (outside the bathroom).

Is this possible to do? Would they be wired to the lighting circuit or the mains curcuit (we have an old water heater circuit in the batroom which could be put to use before we rip this out).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Have read the details which you could have done, they are a direct 230v product, no xformers.

The watt range is 8w-35w for a 2m unit.

Wire as you would a light and run off the existing lighting circuit once you have checked the existing design load of the circuit you intend to use.

Sermad, which part of the UK are you in?
For England & Wales you will have to notify this work to the local authority.

In any event the new work will need to comply with the latest wiring regs. this amy mean providing RCD protection for all the circuits in the bathroom...

Sponsored Links
those lights appear to be designed for display applications. I'd also question fixing them safely, given they appear to have a flex emerging from their ends. :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back