Wiring a new 24 hour immersion heater timer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a timed circuit operating my outside lights - using a 24 hour immersion heater timer. I am trying to replace my old timer with a new one but am having difficulty with the wiring. I only have the mains supply going into the timer - and the previous one, which had 5 connections, was wired as follows -
1 - Mains neutral
2 - Mains live
3 - Bridge wire from 2
4 - Mains Earth
5 - Not used

My new one has also 5 connections but they are marked up as follows -
1 - Neutral In (from supply)
2 - Live In (from supply)
3 - Earth
4 - Neutral out (to appliance)
5 - Live out (to appliance)

I have wired it as follows -
1 - Neutral from supply
2 - Live from supply
3 - Earth from supply
4 - Not used
5 - Bridge wire from 2

The red light comes on to show that the timer is on - but I can't get my garden lights to work. Have I wired it all up correctly?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
what's missing in your lists in the live connection to the lights.

The switched output

p.s I wonder if earth colour wire has been used for this ?

doesn't need a bridge wire

leave the wires alone that come in

the ones that go to your lights connect them to the out terminals (4 & 5)

Thanks for the response. As I said in my original message, there were only 3 wires coming into the original timer - so I guess it could be possible that the yellow one was to do with the output. I tried connecting the red, blue and yellow wires to the live, neutral and earth - but my lights didn't work. If I don't need the bridge, what else could I try? Should I try connecting the yellow to one of the output terminals?

Sponsored Links
As I said in my original message, there were only 3 wires coming into the original timer

no you didn't

rforbes said:
I have a timed circuit operating my outside lights - using a 24 hour immersion heater timer. I am trying to replace my old timer with a new one but am having difficulty with the wiring. I only have the mains supply going into the timer - and the previous one, which had 5 connections, was wired as follows -

I cant make a decision with out all the info.

you may have thought you said 3 cores...............

is there anything else?

I would suggest that possibly your old timer only switched the Live so:

On your old one...
1. Live input
2. Neutral Input
These two powered the timer itself, then 3 + 4 were the switching terminals?
3. Bridged from the incoming live
4. Output when active - i.e switched to term 3.

This would have meant that your Neutral and Earth for the lights were connected separately - poss in connector block??
Also the yellow wire - do you mean Green/Yellow, as in Earth? or Yellow as in 3-core and Earth cable?

Just to double check - there are only these wire coming in? If so then the Yellow would likely have to be the switched live, and the Neutral + earth for the lights are connected somewhere else?

I would suggest that possibly your old timer only switched the Live so:

On your old one...
1. Live input
2. Neutral Input
These two powered the timer itself, then 3 + 4 were the switching terminals?
3. Bridged from the incoming live
4. Output when active - i.e switched to term 3.

This would have meant that your Neutral and Earth for the lights were connected separately - poss in connector block??
Also the yellow wire - do you mean Green/Yellow, as in Earth? or Yellow as in 3-core and Earth cable?

Just to double check - there are only these wire coming in? If so then the Yellow would likely have to be the switched live, and the Neutral + earth for the lights are connected somewhere else?

I agree with the explanation given by Joe4542. The lights need a neutral and the earth (earth because outside lights with possible metal enclosures) .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back