Wiring a new Pull down light switch in a old house!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I need some advice please.

The pull down light switch in the bathroom has broken so i took it down last night to get an idea of what replacement switch i need, to my confusion as i took it down there were only 2 wires appearing from a grey wire from the ceiling.

1 - Red wire (live)

1 - Black wire (negative)

What i need to find out is are you able to buy new pull down switches and will they work without a earthing wire (yellow/green)

Is there any special fitting instructions i need to look out for.

Thanks for you advice!

Sponsored Links
It is likely that the earth wire has been clipped back and you may discover it hiding in the grey sheath.
Most simple pull switches have a Common (sometimes C or L) and L1 terminal.
The red wire goes in to Common and the black wire into L1.
The earth should be sleeved and put into the earth terminal block located in the switch.
If there is no earth in the grey sheath then while not ideal - as long as there are no metal fittings you should be okay.
Most houses built since the mid to late 60's must have an earth for the lighting circuit - prior to that it was not considered necessary.

If it is an old ceiling take care that the fixings and the ceiling are strong enough to cope with the tugging on the string.

Sponsored Links
Thank you all!

I have just gone and purchased the one in the link as it did have some good reviews.

Ill take closer look tonight and see if i can find a earthing wire hiding somewhere.

thanks again :)

Chris

God yes. Just went and tested the one in my bathroom and it makes a clunk, but it's not deafening like some I've seen. Couldn't identify a brand that's particularly noisy though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back