wiring an electric card meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a card meter which I wish to wire into a 240v supply, their is 4 connections on the meter from left to right M N LL linked ,which ones do I connect the feed to and which ones the load?
The reason I want to connect the meter is that I have property which I let and it is connected to the same supply as a building which I use,I want to meter what I use so that I can repay the tenant.

Sponsored Links
The usual configuration is

Live Feed......Neutral Feed.......Neutral Load........Live Load.

The link you refer to suggests you do not have a meter that does not have the usual configuration.

Picture and reason for installing a meter would help in getting the best advice.

Sponsored Links

The link you refer to suggests you do not have a meter that does not have the usual configuration.

Picture and reason for installing a meter would help in getting the best advice.
I tried connecting the way you suggested but could not get any voltage on the load side,even with enough money on the meter,I have a photo of the connections which is shown on the back of the cover,but as I am new to this forum I am not sure on how to upload the photo.Thanks for the help
Malcolm

I tried connecting the way you suggested but could not get any voltage on the load side,even with enough money on the meter,I have a photo of the connections which is shown on the back of the cover,but as I am new to this forum I am not sure on how to upload the photo.Thanks for the help
Malcolm
//www.diynot.com/network/wunatey/albums/

I tried connecting the way you suggested but could not get any voltage on the load side,even with enough money on the meter,
I did not suggest connecting it, I said that was how most meters were connected. Yours appears to be different. If the two contacts on the right hand side do have a link across them then they cannot be the Live Load and Neutral Load as that link is a dead short across them..

Hence the request for picture(s) to see what you have before any advice can be given.

I tried connecting the way you suggested but could not get any voltage on the load side,even with enough money on the meter,
I did not suggest connecting it, I said that was how most meters were connected. Yours appears to be different. If the two contacts on the right hand side do have a link across them then they cannot be the Live Load and Neutral Load as that link is a dead short across them.
Indeed - and if that link really exists, then all but a couple of 'try it and see' wiring configurations would result in a very big bang .... and the couple which didn't would be extremely strange and counter-intuitive in terms of the way the terminals appear to be labelled.

Kind Regards, John

I did not suggest connecting it, I said that was how most meters were connected. Yours appears to be different. If the two contacts on the right hand side do have a link across them then they cannot be the Live Load and Neutral Load as that link is a dead short across them..

Hence the request for picture(s) to see what you have before any advice can be given.
//www.diynot.com/network/wunatey/albums/
This is the diagram on the inside cover.
Thanks for your help

The diagram suggests the terminations are standard configuration but you are saying there is a link across the load.

What exactly is the "link" and is the symbol just a black dot with a line through it.

What are you connecting the meter to ( the supply to the meter ) If you are experimenting then that connection needs to have over current protection ( fuse or MCB ) to limit the damage from mis-connections.

The diagram suggests the terminations are standard configuration but you are saying there is a link across the load.

What exactly is the "link" and is the symbol just a black dot with a line through it.

What are you connecting the meter to ( the supply to the meter ) If you are experimenting then that connection needs to have over current protection ( fuse or MCB ) to limit the damage from mis-connections.
I cannot see a physical link,it's as you suggested, a circle with a line through it, only on the diagram,as for the supply, it will be connecting to the supply to the building through the meter and it will be protected,at the moment it's on the bench, when checked with a meter I cannot get power at the load side of the card meter,even though their is plenty of money showing on the meter.
Thanks for your help
Malcolm

Sorry, I should have said I had already tried the way you suggested.
Thanks
Malcolm

Silly question, is the card slotted into the meter, ones I wired up a while ago had to have the card in the slot to function IIRC, even after the balance had been transferred.

Silly question, is the card slotted into the meter, ones I wired up a while ago had to have the card in the slot to function IIRC, even after the balance had been transferred.
Yes, I tried it with the card in but still no power at the load side?
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back