Wiring an oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moved into an old bungalow and one of many problems is an oven that's been left disconnected.

It is 9,000 watt electric oven/hob and has a wire running out of it which isn't connected to anything.

I admit to knowing very little about anything DIY, and especially electrics, but I thought it would be a simple case of turning the power off, removing the terminal outlet box plate and wiring in the connections. But when I took the plate off there was already a wire running into it from the double plug socket underneath.

Can anyone help me make sense of this? Hopefully the images below show what I mean. TIA.

oven.jpg

Sponsored Links
If you don’t need the socket, remove and disconnect it. (They are useful for modern ovens that come with plugs )

Or try and get the 3 wires into the terminals if u can

The cooker connection unit is currently supplying the double socket.
What is plugged in to the socket?
Remove the socket and connect your oven.
Too late!

Sponsored Links
There's a distinct lack of sockets in the property so that socket is needed for the fridge. It was a rental property before I bought the place so maybe someone brought their own oven and then decided it wasn't worth wiring up. It's an old oven, I might just replace it for a low powered one that can be plugged in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back