wiring capacity for extension lead

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to get a power supply to a small wall mounted TV and separate digibox that is too far away from plug sockets. I plan to create an extension lead with a 3 pin plug from the nearest socket with 5 amp fuse running the cable under carpets to a new double socket near to the TV.

The TV is rated at 65 watts and the digibox at 25 and both have moulded plugs with twin cable not 3 core.

What is the smallest cable I can use for this since I need to conceal the cable? Is two core not 3 core ok and is there any problem putting the cable run under carpets?

Grateful for advice please

Sponsored Links
You cannot use two core cable to make up a mains extension cable. The size of cable used depends on the lenght and protecting fuse not the expected load, what if someone pluged a hoover in inplace of the TV, etc. Obviously however if you are fitting a 5amp fuse the cable size may be able to be reduced over and above that fused at 13amps.

As I expect you are aware the job your doing is is a work around 'bodge' to avoid extending the circuit properly with a spur or otherwise to provide an additional socket where required and without being an electrican I wouldnt say disguising and unprotected cable within the floor was best practice. Not that you dont see it fairly often.

Otherwise will advise further in time im sure.

Daniel

I need to get a power supply to a small wall mounted TV and separate digibox that is too far away from plug sockets. I plan to create an extension lead with a 3 pin plug from the nearest socket with 5 amp fuse running the cable under carpets to a new double socket near to the TV.
Dangerous to run it under the carpets, people walking on the carpet will quickly damage the cable.
Best option would be to do a proper job and have a new double socket fitted.
Second best option would be to clip the cable to the skirting board.

What is the smallest cable I can use for this since I need to conceal the cable? Is two core not 3 core ok and is there any problem putting the cable run under carpets?
1.5mm Twin and Earth you can get this in white which will look better against your white? skirting boards.

Thanks for the advice. Yes I know I'm doing a 'bodge' job rather than a proper one of installing new twin sockets off the ring but provided the extension is protected by 5 amp fuse and it's never used for anything other than the TV and digi box is it safe to use 0.75mm twin flex?

Sponsored Links
I seem to have the same trouble reading as you have answering the question - ie is it safe in the circs where it's only used for the TV and is protected by 5amp fuse? I presume you will say no it is not safe. So, would it be better to extend the cable on the TV and on the digibox (using 2 core 0.75mm flex) so that both could reach the wall socket thus not making up a mains extn? Or is a 'proper' mains extension the only way?

I seem to have the same trouble reading as you have answering the question - ie is it safe in the circs where it's only used for the TV and is protected by 5amp fuse?
I presume you will say no it is not safe.
So, would it be better to extend the cable on the TV and on the digibox (using 2 core 0.75mm flex) so that both could reach the wall socket thus not making up a mains extn?
Or is a 'proper' mains extension the only way?

One option you might consider:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/2-way-5m-extension-lead-36553

...and it's never used for anything other than the TV and digi box is it safe to use 0.75mm twin flex?
You cannot enforce what it is or isnt going to be used for, while your there or not, so no, in a word.

As you have said, the only way you could even consider using two core cable would be if you ran two cables and joined them permanatly onto the tv and box with with a suitable junction box. You would the however have two cables not one, and running them under the carpet would still be unsafe, partiuarly if its a fitted carpet with gripper rods as most are.

Daniel

I seem to have the same trouble reading as you have answering the question
That is not the case.

The question has been clearly, correctly and unambiguously answered, with no trouble at all.

And actually you are not having any trouble reading the answer.

Where the trouble arises is that you don't like the answer, and don't want to be reading it.

Of course, if the OP changes the plugs on the appliances, then 2 core cable would be OK if the socket is also 2 pin.
But I still wouldn't run the cable under carpet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back