Wiring confusion at junction box - Vent Axia VASF100T

Fans generally don't require an earth, they should always be provided with one though - just made safe in the fan. That'll be why he's done it. So long as it's connected at the other end it isn't a disaster.

The fan has switched line and neutral swapped as per the JB in the loft. You can swap them and see if it works but the fan is likely blown.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Iggifer

I swapped the black and grey wires around in the fan as you said and halleluyah, the fan came on with the lights and ran on after I switched the lights off. I'll sort the exposed copper wire out on another weekend after I've enjoyed the fan working for a while.

So for clarity (because I still don't quite undestand!), the electrician who earthed the house to a rod outside years ago ran an earth lead throught the loft too. It is attached to the JB but now after about 8ft of earth cable, it has now been snipped so doesn't terminate anywhere. Should I be worried?

Many thanks for all your assistance

regaards

Mark

Have you got a TT (overhead) supply?

In which case you must have an earth rod and sound connection to it connected to the MET.

You must also have 30mA RCD protection.

Do you mean the cable from the earth rod goes directly to your fan JB and then is cut through?:eek:

Sponsored Links
I'm guessing that your lighting did not have an earth and thatthe extra earth wire is/was there to provide an earth.
You would need to test electrically if the lights are still earthed following the extension addition. this needs a multimter, and some knowledge.

PS Looking at your wiring at the fan. You need to reterminate your wires so that there is no copper showing. Also, the black and grey should be sleeved with blue and brown to indicate which is neutral, and which is the switched live.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back