wiring diy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having read a lot of your articles about wiring it seams many people attempt their own wiring, can you do this and then get an electrician to test and check every thing is ok? Also issue you with a certificate?

Sponsored Links
Technically no, the reality is yes. If the works fall within the building regs most BC departments will allow you to self install (after obtaining building regs approval) and will sign off the works if you issue them with an NIC or ECA headed PIR test certificate.

Building Control should only sign of the works with a full installation certificate but as NIC sparks can’t issue one without either doing the work themselves or supervising it on site a PIR has become the accepted certificate for self installs.

I wish to put in a cooker cable app 4 Mtrs, and extend the ring main by four sockets two double two single.

Sponsored Links
Unless John P is installing the cooker somewhere other than in the kitchen or bathroom, I believe the work is notifiable to the LABC.

My suggestion John P is that you call your local Council Building Control department and discuss it with them. I am sure you will find them to be very helpful. It could also save you money.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back