Wiring for 5 downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I think I am going mad. A number of years ago I put 5 downlights in the ceiling of our hall, no problem. I want to do similar in our backroom but for the life of me I can't remember how a wired each light to each other.

The lights each have there own transformer with a live and neutral coming from it. I have bought some 0.75mm twin cable but can't remember how to connect from one to another.

If anybody can enlighten me, if you'll pardon the pun, I would be most grateful.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The first downlight will be connected to the switched supply (which feeds your existing light). Using the same sized cable as the supply cable (probably 1.0 or 1.5mm²), take a new length of cable to the 2nd light position, then take a new length of cable from the 2nd to the 3rd and so on.

The first light will be wired into a small junction box so that it contains the feed cable, the transformer cable and the cable going to the next light. Wire L, N and E in parallel with the other cables.

The other lights will also have three sets of cables in each jb except for the last one on the circuit which will have just the two.

If the existing light fitting also includes loop-in/feed out cables, then these need to be wired into an accessible jb (probably close to one of the downlight holes) and then you can wire directly into this for the first light.

Also even if your lights don't need an earth you should maintain the continuity of the circuit earth all the way, i.e. the earth core in the 1mm² or 1.5mm² twin and earth cable you'll be using must be connected through each junction box as well as L & N.

HOWEVER - a much better plan would be to forget the whole idea of using those useless little lights, and install something actually designed for lighting up a room.

BAS, have you considered changing your name to Ban-all-downlights? It would seem more appropriate. You'd have a much better acronym too. :)

Liam

Sponsored Links
But not MR16 format - it's not the lamp type that's the problem, it's the wretched luminaire design...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back