Wiring Help Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had an outside light which is now situated within a conservetory which we had built.

I have taken off the outside light to install a a wall lamp.

There are two black single core cables and a three core cable red, black, earth.

I have tried wiring them with two results.

The first is the light and switch working but the lounge lights being knocked out. So presumably I have broken the supply to this part of the circuit.

The second is the light working but not the switch i.e the light is on permantly but all other lights work.

Can anyone tell me which wires go together to make the light and switch work without knocking out the lounge lights.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Where do the two black wires go? Are they double insulated? When you say knocked out do you mean you blew the fuse/tripped the MCB? Do you own a multimeter? Is the red, black and earth cable the feed wire?

Spark123 said:
Where do the two black wires go? Are they double insulated? When you say knocked out do you mean you blew the fuse/tripped the MCB? Do you own a multimeter? Is the red, black and earth cable the feed wire?

Yes they are double insulated. I have these two connected and the red and black connected. This is allowing all the lights downstairs to work but the switch on the wall light is not now working.

?????

Sponsored Links
What do you mean switch not working? Light on all the time? How have you wired it?

Your first mistake was not reading up on lighting circuits before tackling this job.

Your second mistake was not making a note of the wiring arrangement before disconnecting the old fitting.

Your third mistake is not having a multimeter and knowing how to interpret its results.

Would you tackle a joinery job without hammer screwdriver, saw, level, etc?

A plumbing job without hacksaw, pipecutter, ptfe et al...

Why tackle an electrical job without a multimeter?

securespark said:
Your first mistake was not reading up on lighting circuits before tackling this job.

Your second mistake was not making a note of the wiring arrangement before disconnecting the old fitting.

Your third mistake is not having a multimeter and knowing how to interpret its results.

Would you tackle a joinery job without hammer screwdriver, saw, level, etc?

A plumbing job without hacksaw, pipecutter, ptfe et al...

Had a bad day?

securespark said:
i've always worked on the principle that if you find yourself needing a multimeter when doing mains electrics it means you (or someone else) have already f*cked up.

Pensdown said:
Had a bad day?

Nope, mate. Just getting a bit weary of people who make no effort to

a: understand electrics before they dig in.

b: make notes of where wires go.

c: use the right gear.

Plug. By no means. Every spark I know has a multimeter.

securespark said:
and let me guess you use it to figure out what is going on when the previous person to have worked on the install has f*cked up?

do you actually use it for anything other than that?

plugwash said:
securespark said:
and let me guess you use it to figure out what is going on when the previous person to have worked on the install has f*cked up?

do you actually use it for anything other than that?

Yeah, of course! ID'ing cables installed in first fix when returning for 2nd.

Fault-finding where people have not f'd up, ie loose connections etc...

Voltage readings.

Some current stuff.

Testing DC and batteries - security alarm panel testing.

Shall I go on?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back