WIRING HOB AND OVEN ADVICE PLEASE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 6mm cable running from main unit to cooker switch then to a connection block where I had a free standing electric cooker and hob. I now have a built in hob and seperate single oven which need seperate wiring. Can anyone tell me how I should go about this?

Sponsored Links
What is the power rating (Amps or kW) of your oven (and of your hob)? What is the Amps rating of the MCB for the electric cooker?

Does your kitchen have a good supply of power outlets?

The hob is 6.4kw and the oven is 2.9kw and it is an old fuse board with 30amp fuse any help?

The hob (when flat out, e.g. cooking the Christmas dinner) will come close to the rated capacity of the fuse and at this time the extra load of the oven could blow the fuse, which would be inconvenient. However the oven would be OK on a 13Amp plug.

I would suggest putting the hob in your existing cooker outlet and putting the oven on either an FCU or a plug and socket.

I would also think about replacing those old fuses with MCBs. If times are hard you can get Wylex MCBs that plug in like the old fuseholder, but it sounds like you have an old installation and soner or later will be needing a rewire.

p.s. when you say connection block I hope you mean one of these
p2035240_l.jpg

not one of these
p1443618_l.jpg

Sponsored Links
O well just ran 10mm cable from unit to switch and then to an oven/hob junction box and connected them to this.
Nightmare job and I am boiling now

John D or anyone else, like I mentioned above ran a 10mm cable and connected the hob and oven straight into a oven junction box, is it ok to run both the hob and oven from the same junction box?
I'm still running the 30A old fuse would this likely go if all where going at the same time or should this be ok?

Thanks in advance for any feedback

goooba769 said:
John D or anyone else, like I mentioned above ran a 10mm cable and connected the hob and oven straight into a oven junction box, is it ok to run both the hob and oven from the same junction box?
Possibly - it depends on the size of the cables from the cooker outlet plate to each appliance in relation to the rating of the fuse in the CU.

goooba769 said:
I'm still running the 30A old fuse would this likely go if all where going at the same time or should this be ok?
JohnD said:
The hob (when flat out, e.g. cooking the Christmas dinner) will come close to the rated capacity of the fuse and at this time the extra load of the oven could blow the fuse, which would be inconvenient.

Iv got 6mm running from the Hob and the Oven to the junction box.
Would it be a better idea to replace the 30amp old fuse with a slightly more modern 45amp MCB which I have seen on ebay for few £'s?

I have a feeling yours is an old Wylex Standard fusebox. Is it Brown or Cream? Or are you lucky enough to have a grey metal one?

Is there a sticker or a moulded sign by the switch saying if it is 60Amp or 100Amp?

Some of the old ones will not take a 45A MCB (it is too big and they were not built to carry that much current). 6mm cable will not take 45A.

If you have the chance to post a pic of the fusebox, meter, service head and surrounding wires that will be very interesting and may prompt some other suggestions.

I'm not by it at the moment but it is a cream box in a very difficult place to get to or change for a new board(As ever).
Is it safe the way I have it wired up at the moment?
I assume the worst case cenario is the 30amp fuse will go?
The 6mm cable is only running from the hob and oven (seperate cables)both less than 0.5m to a box which is then supplied by 10mm cable. Thought this would be suitable?

The other option is as mentioned above I could link the hob via 6mm cable to the 10mm coming from the fuse box. Can I run 2.5mm cable from this oven ( bit worried if the oven needs a larger cable 2.9kW max)to a fused 13amp box which is spured off a double socket (micro wave and washing machine off this) which is connected straight to the fuse box or would I need to create a ring main on this small circuit?

Any wise words?

The wisest words I can give you are that you should call a halt to this work until you've learned more about the subject.

I'm not saying this to be superior, or to put you down, but you are missing basic and important knowledge, as shown by the fact that you considered putting a 45A MCB on the end of 6mm cable.

Yes, you asked if this was OK, but trying to learn the basics of cable choice, rating calculations, load calculations, protective device ratings, cable installation methods, circuit design etc etc etc by asking only the questions that occur to you is a very unstructured way to go about it.

What happens if you fail to ask an important question because you simply have no idea about a particular area, and have no idea that you have no idea?

There is also the fact to consider that the work you have done, and are suggesting doing should have been notified to LABC in advance...

Thats the reason I'm on here to find out a bit more information about what I have done so far and am in the process of doing.
I'v done basic electrical training many moons ago so have some understanding but I dont pretend to know everything so I'm on here and other places looking for help and information to assist me in my little project. I like to have a go at projects in my own home and if I have no idea as in Gas, building, etc then I wont bother trying it but electrics I like doing so this is the way I like to go.
I'm just after a bit of helpful guidence but thanks for your comments so far.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back