Wiring in a bathroom before it's a bathroom!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I wire in the lights and extractor fan for a new bathroom before the bath goes in, does this make it part P exempt? Regs seem to state the room must contain a bath to be classified as a special place.

Sponsored Links
All electrical work in a dwelling comes under Part P of the building reg's; however only certain types of work are notifyable.

I think that what you are trying to do is to side step the regulations, however in your case I personnally think that you will still need to notify this work.

Ben, Yes you do have to notify. Once a bath/shower is installed in the room it becomes a special location.
At that time the electrical installation has to comply with BS7671 section 601 and you must notify LABC.

On the way you are thinking you could say that every house used to be a hole in the ground and no regulations apply. Nice try.
Try that one out on Plod when you get stopped for doing 70 in a 50mph zone that used to be derestricted :LOL:

Realise it has to comply with regs, - and it will! I know what I'm doing and will do a proper job. However, I want to avoid the inspection fee. Am I right in thinking that no specific inspection is required upon a change of use.

Sponsored Links
I think there is a difference between a bathroom under renovation and a cloakroom that just gains a shower some years after a shaver point was fitted :LOL:

Its not like anyone is ever going to check anyway.

If you sell the place just say the wiring was already like that and you just changed the facias etc.

Edit: In hindsight I am sorry for suggesting this, this being a reputable forum.

Yes, they will check. The BCO needs to check the new soil stack and has requested an extractor fan be fitted. Just concerned he will ask who did it & want to see the certs.

Don't see a moral problem with this. Yes, electrical safety is important, but jobs such as this can be done safely by anyone with half a brain. Part P is ridiculous. Next revision they'll insist on certification to change a lightbulb!

Besides, I'd feel safer knowing I've done it & done it right, rather than a 17yr old who's got a piece of paper.

As opposed to a pointless question?

Hi I'm a tosser and I want to break the law.

In your professional opinion, what is the best way to do this?

Laws are made to be broken, anyhow, it's just finding a way round it! Do you really live you life obeying all rules and regulations? If so, fine, your choice!

It's a pointless law anyway, this stuff is easy!

I'm off out to murder some people.

Murder being illegal is a pointless law.

So you pick and choose which laws you obey and which you don't?

Ben,

Why did you start this thread if you have no intention of following the advice that you are given??

Just do what you're going to do and live with the consequences.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back