wiring of electric cooker into same box(?) as shower?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help me with a question that I don't really understand? Have just spoken to my aged mother who has just changed from a gas to an electric cooker. The house she is in has already a point for an electric cooker so, having bought second-hand, she employed a local accredited contractor to fit the cooker. He's done that but was full of doom and gloom because the shower (upstairs) is apparently connected to the same box as the cooker...he has said that she should not run the shower when the cooker is on and that she should really have a new box installed. I know nothing about electrics but just wanted to be sure that this is genuine advice (he's connected the cooker but says he can't change the box and has put her on to a 'friend' (also accredited I think)) Sorry to sound very ignorant but can anyone confirm that she should have this done? Any opinions? :idea:ps. my mother lives in England.

Sponsored Links
yes.

Best to have a new shower circuit installed, because it ought to have an RCD and will be drawing more power than the cooker. It is very likely overloading the old cooker circuit.

If the overload protection (fuse or MCB) suits the cable size it is deemed as safe (as long as its RCD protected) but not good practice. If i were you i would get an NICEIC approved electrician to put in a seperate circuit in for the shower he will/should also check that all earthing arrangments and incoming cable sizes complies with the regulations.

Many thanks for your advice...just wanted to be sure she wasn't being taken for a ride. Don't suppose anyone can give me a rough guide to the cost? :?:

Sponsored Links
dont have a clue sorry i work for someone, not for myself, get 2 or 3 contractors to give you a quote and see who you like best but make sure they are approved NICEIC. If they are NICEIC domestic installer dont bother, anyone can be a domestic installer after a weeks course witch is rediculous.

But if they are not a domestic installer they can not legally do the work :confused:

There are lots of good DIs out there, just as there are lots of bad ACs.

Other schemes exist, and are just as credible as the NICEIC.

dont have a clue sorry i work for someone, not for myself, get 2 or 3 contractors to give you a quote and see who you like best but make sure they are approved NICEIC. If they are NICEIC domestic installer dont bother, anyone can be a domestic installer after a weeks course witch is rediculous.

Safesinbad. Not quite true im afraid. I am An NICEIC Domestic Installer AND An NICEIC Approved Contractor...ive got over 35years experience does that mean I would be unsuitable for this work ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back