wiring on Security lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have fitted a new PIR security light outside under the car port which works ok but I also have another one which backs on to it and the wiring for both goes into a small junction box and then the wiring goes into the loft to a wall switch, the only thing is only one light will come on at any one time, if one is on the other wont come on and vice-versa they both work perfectly well but not together. Before I had this new one fitted they both worked as they should - any ideas anyone?

Sponsored Links
When one light comes on, the other one thinks it's daylight and won't activate. You need to disable the PIR on the second light, and adjust the wiring so it comes on with the first. Or buy a standard light and wire it into the back of the PIR one. This is only possible with certain lights that can accomodate an increased load.

thanks sparkyspike someone did suggest that solution to me so I tried going around the back way to bring on the old light, which is a dull 150w and then going passed it to bring on the new light, which is 500w, but I got the same result, I thought as the 150w was dull enough not to make a difference to the new light but then they worked ok before the new light was replaced, could it be that I am overloading the little junction box that the 2 lights go into? what do I know about electrics,ask me to bake a cake and Im in my comfort zone but electrics - you could be speaking a foreign language.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back