Wiring problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a double switch downstairs which activates a downstairs and seperately activates an upstairs light which only turns on and off the upstairs light.

The downstairs has 2 sets of wires wired as follows:-

Red to L1, Black to L2 and nothing to L3
at the other end of the switch it is wired , Red to L1, Yellow to L2 and Blue to L3.

Upstairs I have

2 cables,
Yellow, red and blue in one
Red and Black in another. These 2 were joined together and not connected.

I currently have the downstairs light permanently lit and will not turn off and no light at all upstairs.

Can anyone give me some help.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Paul6756 said:
...I have a double switch downstairs which activates a downstairs and seperately activates an upstairs light which only turns on and off the upstairs light.....

and

.....These 2 were joined together and not connected...

No offence, but I didn't understand those two sentences. Can you reword please?

Have there recently been changes to the hall/landing light circuits, or a new switch or anything? Has it ever worked the way you want?

No offence taken thanks for showing the interest,

What I meant was, the double light switch is situated downstairs and activates the downstairs light and the second rocker switch turns the upstairs light on and off.

Yes, the circuit was working, the confusion came when the new switch downstairs was marked differently to the old switch as it had no COM's and only L1, 2 and 3.

Unfortunately the upstairs switch was dismantled without recording where the wires were connected. Lesson learnt there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back