Hall light with a mind of it's own

I did that earlier & nothing happens the downstairs light does not come on with that wire removed.

Sponsored Links
Electrical installation by guesswork, trial-and-error, hoping to hit on the right combination by luck, is a fools mission.

Sponsored Links
I did that earlier & nothing happens the downstairs light does not come on with that wire removed.
In that case this situation arises:
if removing stop the light working completely, the red could be supposed to link to either the blue or yellow in that switch and not the red.
you need to move the red link wire to either the blue or yellow. One, the light will be on all the time, the other, it will work correctly.

Electrical installation by guesswork, trial-and-error, hoping to hit on the right combination by luck, is a fools mission.
Yes, I realise that, but rather than luck we could employ logical deduction.

However, the OP does not seem to be able to follow instructions nor give clear enough answers so getting another electrician will be the only solution.

That is logical deduction unless I missed something. As I'm sure you're aware the live feed could come from any point on the 3c+e, and clearly it is at this switch by the fact that removing it stops the light working, but the feed has been put onto the middle strapper instead of the one opposite the switched live.

Ok link wire to blue wire on all the time,link wire to yellow wire
switch upstairs operates as it should off =off on=on & if you turn
the light on downstairs you can now turn it off upstairs & vice versa
the only thing is the downstairs light switch off=on on=off but I really
do not care about that tbh & the outside light still works.

glad you got it sorted! Now make sure you sort out the earth/cpc connectors to go to the faceplates as per the earlier poster's comment, as that is a safety issue.

I have a electrician booked for next week to check all the jobs
he has done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back