Hall light with a mind of it's own

Ok link wire to blue wire on all the time,link wire to yellow wire
switch upstairs operates as it should off =off on=on & if you turn
the light on downstairs you can now turn it off upstairs & vice versa
the only thing is the downstairs light switch off=on on=off but I really
do not care about that tbh & the outside light still works.

You mean you have a light switch working upside down?

Just swap the L2 and L3 around.

Sponsored Links
Don't forget with two-way switching the switch position is not always up-off and down-on.

The light should be off (if your pedantic and a bit OCD) when both switches are up or both switches down and on when the switches are different.

you need to move the red link wire to either the blue or yellow. One, the light will be on all the time, the other, it will work correctly.
I am a bit puzzled.

That would seem logical - but where is the switched live that should go into the other terminal?

What are these?

upload_2018-4-29_16-6-2.png

I think I will just leave it as it is not,as for those wires arrowed no idea they have been there for years I never go near them probably put in by council at some point.

Sponsored Links
but where is the switched live that should go into the other terminal?
doesn't have to go in the terminal at that switch, as long as it's connected somewhere along the strapper it's fine. In this case I assume the 3c passes by the ceiling rose so can connect there, but maybe there's no perm live at that point, as it's a loop by switch setup.

doesn't have to go in the terminal at that switch, as long as it's connected somewhere along the strapper it's fine. In this case I assume the 3c passes by the ceiling rose so can connect there, but maybe there's no perm live at that point, as it's a loop by switch setup.
True.

Perhaps it has been altered as it is an odd situation (to me) that the hall light is two-way and the landing light is not.
Wasn't it previously discussed that this was a geographical preference?

The downstairs switch is a 2 gang upstairs is a 3 gang ,been this
way for years,original put in whilst rewired by council quite a few
years back.All working fine now thanks to every ones input.
I have an electrician coming next week to check earth straps &
tidy up previous electricians work.

No. Two-way, not two-gang.

It is normal, in my experience that the landing light can be operated from upstairs and downstairs, and the hall light only from downstairs - the opposite to yours.

Yes that's the opposite these are maisonettes very strange configuration
our main fuse is in the downstairs property this is separate from the fuse &
fuse box that is upstairs,lost all power last year turns out there is a fuse
at entry level worse with the water if you fall out with our neighbour they
can turn all your water off & these are purpose built not conversions

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back