Wiring Salus IT500 Thermostat - Combi Boiler

Something a bit fishy here. You have an existing thermostat that by rights should have a neutral connection in order to function properly. It doesn't, yet it appears that there is a spare core in the existing cable that could have been utilised so easily, yet wasn't. Hmm.. I wonder why.

Neutral probably was not connected due to either laziness or lack of knowledge about the thermostats need for a neutral.

Sponsored Links
The unit you have selected should have been a direct replacement had your original been wired correctly. A link CH Com to L and the blue with red tape wire in with the link. The green/yellow it seems is not required so fold over and tape up. The brown wire goes to CH NO and the black wire needs blue tape putting on it and connection to N at both boiler and thermostat.

If I had bought that thermostat I would however want to use all of it's features and would want to fit and wire in the motorised valves so you have two zones. I think idea of separate temperatures upstairs and down-stairs is great. However for me it means a lot of plumbing or use of RF linked TRV heads.

I have already explained to the OP what to do. Why confuse him further?
Why would you not do as I have suggested and use the correct colours for the purpose?

Some are adamant you should not use black for neutral.

Sponsored Links
It was my comment in another thread which lead to the discussion.

That was - if I was connecting a three core (Brown,Black,Grey) to a two core (Red,Black) I would use the black as the neutral.
(Logic has always been a strong point).

In a situation where it doesn't matter whether you use the Black or Grey, well - it doesn't matter (as it is sleeved blue), does it?

As said, the time will NEVER come when you can be sure the previous person shared your view so what is the point of the advice that black should be disassociated from neutral - WHY?

I always thought the Why? was to reinforce the need to find out for sure rather than assume.

I always thought the Why? was to reinforce the need to find out for sure rather than assume.
Okaaay - That may be valid - for some.

So, the instruction was to introduce the uncertainty.
I don't see why, then, they did not say grey must not be used for neutral.

It was my comment in another thread which lead to the discussion.

I know, the "Mains Smoke Alarm" thread is 5 pages long!

It doesn't matter.
If your present light wiring is red and black, I would use black for neutral.
Whichever, it should be sleeved to indicate live and neutral.

I personally would only ever use Blue or Grey sleeved blue for neutral in regards to the new harmonized colours, even though I can find no requirement in BS7671 to only use they grey core in 3+CPC as the neutral; but that's just me.

As said, the time will NEVER come when you can be sure the previous person shared your view so what is the point of the advice that black should be disassociated from neutral - WHY?

See this (4th post ) and this.

I do not see how those links help.

They are just other people's views, as is NICEIC's, in which I can see no justification nor reason.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back