wood flooring onto concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have solid wood flooring throughout my victorian house. Now I have come to my extention and it has a concrete floor and wish to carry on the with the same type of floor.

Apparently if there is a big chance the floor will warp if I fix it through the concrete.

Is there a special type of fixing which allows a bit of movement

Sponsored Links
It will only warp as you put it if the you do not allow the concrete to dry out. I take it that its a new concrete base ? If it is then on adverage you are looking at 6 months drying time to 6 inch of concrete (this is only an adverage) you also have to be carful of where the joint of concrete joins exsisting subfloor as this will vent moisture. If in doorway where a threshold will sit it ,it will not normally be a problem. If you want to speed up fitting onto wet or damp subfloor you can use epoxy resin.( F-ball f75 or f76. )You then need to lay leveling compound on top of this with primer( F-ball 131) Do not use latex screed! It has a weak shear strenth. Use water based or acrylic sreed (smoothing compound) The you can glue wood flooring to this. Use a spirt based or urethane adhesive. O and make sure you get subfloor as flat as possible. Should be around 3mm in 3meters.

Addition:
make sure the concrete is dry enough according to the specifications of the epoxy you're using, too much moist still in it will render it useless.

Also, don't try to force dry it with heat-cannons, this can crack the concrete.

Sponsored Links
Thankyou to you both. I was mor concerned about the wood warping when it dry our naturally. The old extension has been down years, but thanks for the advice on the new.

Is there not a slip fixing much like you would get when doing a movement joint onto existing blockwork

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back