woodburner & flue help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello all

our wood burner was fitted yesterday....the wood burner is in a single storey room and the flue runs externally through the ceiling/roof void and straight up an external wall on side of our house..

the problem we have is around the flue internally where it meets the ceiling there is a huge gap between flue and ceiling (looks like they have cut the hole far too big), this is allowing cold air to enter the room as its obviously getting in from outside under the roof tiles and coming straight into the room..

the HETAS engineer who fitted it (looks about 17, and the milky bar kid) told us it needs to have the gap which is around 2 inches around the diameter of the flue pipe & ceiling..

should it not have a plate attached to the ceiling to cover the gap and stop the cold air entering my once warm house?

many thanks in advance....

Sponsored Links
He should have fitted a Floor/Ceiling ventilated plate & shield combined with a decorative Single to twin adaptor piece with trim cover plate to tidy off.

Sounds like another hetas cowboy. :mrgreen:

he didnt look old enough to ride a horse!
We saw the plates online, these so called professionals told us it needed this gap to allow air to circulate and to prevent fire. now i can understand this around the insulation in the roof void but not blowing a gale force wind into my room.

the cowboys are coming back to 'fix' their shoddy job tomorrow. i also have another HETAS guy coming to look and give me a price for putting right their mess...

nothings ever straight forward ....

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back