Wooden lintel ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Ive got a house built in 1930's.

The large lounge was originally 2 rooms. While my plans for an extension are currently going through, ive decided to get on with other things on my list.

One of which is re-instating the old wall and knocking through the old doorway into the new room.

After stripping wall paper and hacking of plaster Ive been confronted with rendered brickwork and a wooden lintel that is 115mm wide (4 1/2").

This is a downstairs wall with a brick wall above. It has stood until now but is it suitable to just door line straight into it or does it need re-enforcing with concrete? Im not sure what regs state for existing building works.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If it's only spanning a doorway it will not be a problem (building regs may disagree). If it does need replacing a concrete lintel would be cheapest but a Catnic will be easier to handle.

Sponsored Links
It is only spanning a doorway and ive noticed that directly above is another doorway so there is no real weight directly above.

will have a closer look as i uncover more.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back