Worcester 24 CDi. Advice Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. Some advice please regarding my combi boiler. Its a WORCESTER 24CDi , about ten yrs old. I recently had a British Gas engineer out to service it as part of our annual service agreement. After he had finished he told my wife(I was at work) that the flue was badly corroded and that because of that, the whole boiler would need to be replaced even though in his admission, the boiler its self was in good working order. He also left written advice to the same effect.

Could someone please tell me if this sounds right , as it seems a bit extreme to me, I always thought the flue came separate from the appliance. Does anyone know if the flue ca be repaired or a replacement one fitted.

Thanks alot

Sponsored Links
Firstly, I doubt BG have ever 'serviced' your boiler or you have a service agreement. Most BG agreements do not involve a 'service' of the boiler.

This is because the term 'service' has a legal definition and BG prefer to use the term 'safety inspection' which gets them in and out of the house in 15mins.

With respect to your problem, the damage caused by corrosion may be simply repaired by the changing of the flue. However the flue is not covered under BG maintenance contracts.

You should get an independant person to inspect the boiler, we cannot see the extent of the damage here and therefore my opinions are worthless.

A ten year old combi is reaching its twilight years and you should consider the advice you have been given. Replacing the flue on a boiler that old which is corroded can be difficult; difficult takes time and time is money.

Hello. Some advice please regarding my combi boiler. Its a WORCESTER 24CDi , about ten yrs old. I recently had a British Gas engineer out to service it as part of our annual service agreement. After he had finished he told my wife(I was at work) that the flue was badly corroded and that because of that, the whole boiler would need to be replaced even though in his admission, the boiler its self was in good working order. He also left written advice to the same effect.

Could someone please tell me if this sounds right , as it seems a bit extreme to me, I always thought the flue came separate from the appliance. Does anyone know if the flue ca be repaired or a replacement one fitted.

Thanks alot

Please post a picture here of your 'corroded flue' so we can look at it. I find it hard to imagine how it could rot away in only 10 years.

The flue can be purchased as a spare part, but remember many BG operatives try to con you into a new boiler. I know of someone who was advised by BG they needed a new boiler as Honeywell motorised valves were no longer made. :LOL:

We've changed a couple. Cost over £100 but if it's on the ground floor I can't see it taking more than an hour.
Would you scrap a 10 year old car because it needed an exhaust?

Sponsored Links
However the flue is not covered under BG maintenance contracts.

Flues than are part of the appliance are, and that is.

Whats not covered for example is a flue liner or chimney. IMHO.

I think that flue is obsolete, however i was advised by worcester that a flue from a 26cdi extra could be used.

flue on a combi is covered. its the flue on any open flued appliance thats not covered.

if they are not available then BG wont put the flue from another appliance on.

flue on a combi is covered. its the flue on any open flued appliance thats not covered.

Why not? Its a manufacturers alternative.

Why not? Its a manufacturers alternative.

they would probably do it if they got worcester to provide a letter stating that it was suitable. otherwise they shouldnt take the risk.

The flue can be purchased as a spare part, but remember many BG operatives try to con you into a new boiler.

Assuming the BG operative doesn't plan to take the punter's money and then not ever arrange the supply/fit of a new appliance, then where's the con?

If by con you mean to persuade, by whatever non-menacing verbal means, for someone to volunteer a purchase of something they neither want nor need and then legitimately supply it, then that would apply to the entire consumer industry.

BG do have a reputation of telling their customers parts are not available and saying they will therefore have to purchase a new boiler. That is not persuasion, that is a con.

Is there an incentive scheme to reward BG operatives to sell new boilers rather than fix their current ones?

PartsCenter part number 480179
Currently their Feeder DOES have it in stock.

BG do have a reputation of telling their customers parts are not available and saying they will therefore have to purchase a new boiler. That is not persuasion, that is a con.

Is there an incentive scheme to reward BG operatives to sell new boilers rather than fix their current ones?

If you look closely it happens everywhere. Unless you truly believe everything you've ever been told to get you to purchase has been the absolute truth.

We gather its a £30 commission payment when the customer takes a BG replacement boiler.

However, the question then becomes whats the best independent advice?

If Chris R can replace the flue for £100 then thats less than 4% of the cost of a new boiler. Perhaps a good buy?

As an Independent however I can tell you that:-

Parts centre have it in stock and therefore you should complain to BG that their engineer have told you its no longer available when clearly it is and you require them to replace it under your maintenance contract.

You could also ask for an explanation of their engineer's actions!!! ( Such greed for his £30 ? )

Or get Chris R to replace it for £100 and recover the cost from BG as they clearly gave you incorrect advice!

Tony

But hold on. None of you have seen it.

How do you know the corrosion hasn't affected the top of the boiler? What if the flue is pointing uphill (being a non condenser).

Surely it should be inspected by someone else before parts are ordered etc?

It's very easy sitting at home with the answers but we have all seen corroded boilers. A Worcester flue rotting is unusual and therefore you should expect other collateral damage.

But hold on. None of you have seen it.

How do you know the corrosion hasn't affected the top of the boiler? What if the flue is pointing uphill (being a non condenser).

After he had finished he told my wife(I was at work) that the flue was badly corroded and that because of that, the whole boiler would need to be replaced even though in his admission, the boiler itself was in good working order.

What we have been told certainly sounds as if the boiler itself is fine.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back